Class at Park Spotlight: Law Courses

A look into Park’s law-related electives
Social+studies+teacher+Michael+Nordean+helps+a+student+Jan.+12.+Nordean+also+teaches+Introduction+to+Criminal+Law+as+well+as+Law+and+Public+Policy.+
Kayleigh Bishop
Social studies teacher Michael Nordean helps a student Jan. 12. Nordean also teaches Introduction to Criminal Law as well as Law and Public Policy.

Out of the many courses Park has to offer students, there are only two classes in the law field. Introduction to Criminal Justice and Law and Public Policy often gain waitlists as they are some of the most popular courses among Park students, and they are only offered three periods of the day. Once learning a bit of what each class has to offer, one can understand students’ eagerness to participate in the programs.

Instructor Michael Nordean, who teaches the two classes, said the classes offer great insight into how the justice system works. He said the courses teach students their rights and how to defend themselves. 

“If (students) do get tripped up in the legal system, they’ll have a modicum of understanding as to how to handle it,” Nordean said. 

Besides the foundation of legal knowledge, Nordean also incorporates different law careers in his teachings through various guest speakers. Criminal Justice senior Josie Bohrod said Nordean’s law visitors gave a real life idea of different legal occupations.

“It really gives you insight into what the actual jobs are like, besides just what you see on TV,” Bohrod said.

Nordean brought in attorneys, police officers, judges and more this semester, and said he has plans in place to bring in even more guests in semester two. 

“The FBI and a prosecutor have been contacted,” Nordean said. “Also, for the first time, someone who actually spent years in prison.” 

According to Bohrod, beyond the significance of the lectures themselves, the insight they provided pushed her to pursue a criminology major in her future studies. 

“(The class) really got me interested in the justice system,” Bohrod said. “It’s one of the reasons I’m going on a pre-law track.”

Law and Public Policy junior Avery Noren said she hopes for Criminal Justice and Law and Public Policy to continue to be offered to Park students. 

“It’s a really important thing to learn, especially if we don’t have other classes that really explain it all,” Noren said.

Between the courses themselves, guest speakers and student engagement, the law electives through Park are understandably popular. Bohrod said if a Park student has the opportunity to take the course, they should. 

“The class was really interesting. Nordean was a great teacher,” Bohrod said.

Noren said she’s taking Criminal Justice as well due to her good experience in Law and Public Policy. 

“It has made me want to learn more, and I took [Criminal Justice] afterward, and I think that’s proof enough,” Noren said.

As Park approaches semester two, students can fill out a schedule change form posted at Student Services if they are interested in joining Criminal Justice or Law and Public Policy.