Get in the spirit for singing

Park starts preparation for musical
Yosef Teshome
Choir club dancing to music on Jan 25th. The musical is at 7:00 p.m. March 21-24 at MS auditorium.

Park choir has begun to prepare for the upcoming musical, Newsies, which will be March 21-24. Choir teacher John Myszkowski said rehearsals have gone well. 

“The music is very catchy, so students have caught on very quickly to what we’ve covered so far,” Myszkowski said. “The show can feature tenors & basses prominently — we have great tenor & bass sections this year — but it is also quite accessible for our sopranos and altos, so we’re well covered.  We’ve begun choreography as well, with stagings with Miss Zumberge beginning this week at the middle school.”

Junior Marley Curtis said the choir needs to be a little more engaged so they can improve before shows.

“I think it’d be better if we were a little more focused at times and making sure we are heading (in) the right direction so we can be our best,” Curtis said.

Junior Micah Curtis said one of his favorite moments in choir was all-conference.  

“Last years’ all-conference event at Chanhassen was a fun time,” Curtis said. “(I) got to enjoy and learn around my classmates and really see how good we are.” 

According to Myszkowski, the choir does a musical every year. 

“Doing a choir musical incorporates state standards of performance and connection, and gives (an opportunity to) students who may not be able to participate in our school-wide after school musical in the fall due to sports or other beyond-the-school-day conflicts,” Myszkowski said. 

Marley Curtis said the choir is looking onward  to doing the musical. 

“We are looking forward to performing in front of our family members and friends while having a great time,” Curtis said.

Myszkowski said the choir is half way done learning all the songs for the musical.

“We will have to learn all of the songs — choreography, blocking, acting and expression — so (there is) a way to go, but we’ve got a good chunk of time prior to that,” Myszkowski said.