CNA State test

Park students get CNA certified
Junior+Kate+Grimm+prepares+for+the+CNA+state+test+Feb.+1.+Students+had+to+perform+multiple+skills+to+pass+exam.+
Clara Bagne
Junior Kate Grimm prepares for the CNA state test Feb. 1. Students had to perform multiple skills to pass exam.

The CNA certified nursing assistant program started at Park in 2020 after over 300 students said they would be interested in taking the class. The class is a semester-long course, taught by Allison Luskey, that is focused on the skills and terminology used by CNA’s. All students have the opportunity to take the knowledge and skill test that will certify them. The semester one classes just took their skills test on Feb. 1 and 2 at MCTC.

Junior Sarah Tirado said she plans to use her certification to work as a CNA in an assisted living facility.

“When I get my certification I want to work as a CNA, maybe in a long term care facility with older residents. Like the ones we saw on our field trip,” Tirado said.

CNA teacher Allison Luskey said the class is a good start for anyone looking to pursue a career in healthcare.

“It’s a great class to take for somebody who’s interested in healthcare in any way in any form, at any level because it prepares you for working with patients face to face and prepares you to have that direct care that is vital in any healthcare job,” Luskey said.

Senior Oliver Salita said the class is good for anyone interested in the healthcare field.

“It’s a great opportunity to have and it’s also a great way to get into the medical field,” Salita said. “I’m not sure if I will use my certification in the work field, but it’s great to have.”

Tirado said the class prepared her well for the test and spent time helping students study for the exam.

“I felt pretty prepared for the test, I prepared for the test by practicing skills on my family members and friends, as well as practicing in Mrs. Luskeys room,” Tirado said.

Luskey said the whole semester is spent planning for the skills test by practicing in the lab, watching videos and working with peers.

“Preparing for this skill test really starts at the beginning of the semester, because skills are incorporated into all of the units and so preparation comes in a lot of different ways,” Luskey said. “Through in class lab practice, through students on their own needing to do their videos and watching those skills through RN testing, lab practice with their station and their peers in class and outside of class.”

Salita said he spent a lot of time outside of class preparing for the test, using multiple resources.

“I would go into Miss Luskeys classroom and I would practice the skills,” Salita said. “I would also watch the videos that she provided on Schoology and I would also read the packet over and over again that had all the skills in it.”

Tirado said she felt good about how the test went, especially with the test environment.

“I think I did pretty well on the test, I think the class prepared us very well,” Tirado said. “I was also surprised by how nice the nurse testing us was which helped a lot.”