Snodaze surprises students

Snodaze turns out to be a big success
Max Rider
Park hosted Snodaze carnival Feb. 24. Snodaze was from 7-10 on Saturday night.

On Saturday, Feb. 24, Park put on the Snodaze dance for the second year in a row. The dance is a way for students to let loose and have fun in the middle of a stressful school year. The event was held in the activity center, and it offered music and dancing, just like last year. It also had many activities and carnival games like axe throwing, food and candy, which made it a different experience than last year’s dance.

Ms. Rennhak, a student council advisor who helped oversee the production of Snodaze, said the student council decided to try a new, exciting theme, something different from last year, to try to draw more interest and bigger attendance.

“The theme kind of naturally became a carnival theme because we wanted to take a bit of a new approach to the dance this year and add a carnival element to it,” Rennhak said. “We just wanted to switch it up because, usually for schools around our area, their winter dance has the lowest attendance, so we wanted to see if we could shake it up a bit.”

Junior Malik Martin said he enjoyed the dance, and the carnival aspect made it a great time.

“The dance was magnificent, I had a blast,” said Martin. “My favorite part was probably basketball. And skee ball was really fun, and whack a mole and all the candy that was there was good.”

Junior Adam Rosvald, said how he enjoyed the event, especially compared to last year, with more activities available to take part in this year.

“It was really fun, I thought it was a lot better run than last year,” Rosvald said. “There was more things to do, more opportunities just to kind of have fun and not just stand around and listen to music. There were the bouncy houses that were fun to do with my friends.”

Rennhak said, the dance didn’t turn up as many students as the student council had hoped, but for those who did come, it definitely met expectations.

“In terms of raising the attendance at the dance, it didn’t quite meet that goal. It was still our lowest attended event of the year,” Rennhak said. “But I think the students that were there were having a really good time, which is ultimately what we want. So feedback from students, they were just saying they enjoyed that it was something different.”

Martin said he believes many people missed out by not showing up to Snodaze.

“I think more people should have showed up, it was not as attended as I thought it should have been,” Martin said. “I think so much more people would have so much more fun if they showed up.”

Rosvald said better advertising for the dance on social media could have made better for a better event.

“More information prior would be nice, not just like signs up around the school but posts on Instagram of what was gonna happen there, so people knew what to expect and what to wear,” Rosvald said. “Some people were dressed up, some people weren’t, so it was kind of unclear of what was happening, so it could have been run a bit better.”