Sliding into college

Early admission gives seniors greater opportunity to senior slide
Ena Mekic
Photo Illustration By Ena Mekic

Starting as early as September, Park seniors have been receiving early admission decisions from colleges. Many colleges offer early decision and early action with deadlines in late fall, with admission decisions coming out in January and February. However, when a senior gets into college early, it can sometimes lead them quickly into a senior slide.

Applying and getting admitted earlier in the year has a lot of benefits, as the stress of college applications moves out of the way and usually gives the student a better chance of getting scholarships. Senior Alison Garland, who is committed to the University of Wisconsin, Madison, said making an early college decision was relieving.

“I was really stressed about it at first, but once I committed and let it settle I felt a huge wave of relief,” Garland said. “It’s so nice to know where I’m going and not have to agonize about it.”

Senior James Dwyer committed to Santa Clara University in December. He said the main reason he applied so early is to better his chances at getting in.

“I decided to apply early to college because by the time the early decision deadline was approaching,” Dwyer said. “I had decided that [Santa Clara] was the school I wanted to go to, and I knew that if I were to do early decision that I could guarantee my chances there.”

Although it can be beneficial to commit early in the school year, it can also impact students’ motivation towards their senior year schoolwork. AP Statistics teacher Anson Opara said while some students prioritize their schoolwork senior year, others drop off after receiving college decisions.

“For some kids, knowing what requirements they need in college can be better because they’ll be like, ‘Oh my gosh, if I get this [score] on an AP test, it could actually save me a bunch of money,” Opara said. “Some kids are like, ‘I already know what I’m doing. I’m already in. I’m not gonna do anything. I’m gonna senior slide.’”

Continuing to work hard second semester can be difficult for seniors when they want to focus on their plans for next fall. Garland said since she’s already committed, prioritizing high school work can be hard.

“Since I’ve committed there’s definitely an underlying feeling of like, ‘I’m already going to college, I can’t still be in high school.’ So there’s definitely a big lack of motivation because I’m ready to move on,” Garland said. “Part of me feels like, ‘I’ve already committed to college. I’m basically in college. So why would I be doing high school work?’”

Especially for those who applied and committed earlier in the year, there can be a grave difference in the feeling between first and second semester. According to Dwyer, second semester schoolwork has felt slightly less important than in the past.

“It’s felt a little different, a little more like it doesn’t matter quite as much, like the academics part of it,” Dwyer said.

When it comes down to it, senior slide can be avoided, even when a student has committed early, if they put the work in. Opara said that a student’s attitude and their future goals determine how much second semester will matter for them.

“It depends on how you want to use it, in my opinion,” Opara said. “If you’re just doing it to ride it out, then not really much. If you use it to try to get ahead in college, I think it matters a lot.”