From classroom to real world

Do part time summer jobs prepare students for the future
Owen McColgan
Lakeshore Learning Store is now hiring May 29. Many students are looking for summer jobs.

As the school year winds down and students begin gearing up for summer, one thing they plan out is their summer job. Students’ jobs vary from working in fast food to starting their own business, but does working a summer job in fast food or being a clerk prepare us for our future? If so, what are the benefits or negatives to students having a job over the summer?

Junior Bennett Anderson said working a summer job should be emphasized because you learn how to be an employee as well as being efficient.

“I think it’s important for teens because they learn how to have a boss along with working with people,” Anderson said. “On top of that just getting stuff done is a good skill.”

According to Kara Mueller, the career and college coordinator at Park, having a job gets you ready for the real world in ways that highschool doesn’t.

“There are so many skill sets that you don’t pick up in a traditional school,” Mueller said. “By going out and taking a risk maybe you’re a little scared, whatever. By getting yourself out into the community and taking on a job, you’re picking up additional skills.”

Junior Isaac Joseph said working with new people is a very important aspect that a summer job prepares a student for real life.

“I think summer jobs can teach students for the future”, Joseph said. “A job like a cashier, it can prepare you for life because of the social aspect and collaborating with different people.”

According to Mueller, not only experiencing a working environment is helpful, but it helps one learn the money aspect too, such as saving and dealing with taxes.

“Another valuable skill is controlling your money. Do you know what it’s like to get a paycheck? How do you get your paycheck where to go? How do you access the money? Do you have your W2, your W4, do you have to file taxes,” Mueller said. “There’s so much additional learning that happens when you have a part time job.”

Anderson said working full time over the school year too would have its benefits, but the student needs a healthy balance.

“I think it is as long as the students are not too active in too many sports”, Anderson said. “Even if you have a sport you can still work here and there, but it’s important to have a balance.

According to Mueller, students shouldn’t be expected to work a job during the school year because it can end up being a lot but maybe trying it would be beneficial.

“I think they should be able to manage a part time job and their schoolwork but, I think that our kids are very stressed.” said Mueller. “I think quite honestly, going into a job alleviates mental stress differently, but if they are heavily stressed with expectations for school and work it would be hardly beneficial”.