Students, staff adjust to schedule

Teachers begin i3 monitoring program during Tuesday, Thursday morning meeting time

As the end of the class period approaches, science teacher Julie Schilz has to take an extra look at her schedule.

An alternating schedule has been introduced, to give teachers more time to monitor their students.

Schilz said she believes this program benefits students, despite the complications with time.

“It takes time and it’s kind of tedious, but in the end it’s good to be aware of how your students are doing and (outside of) your class,” Schilz said.

These meetings began during the second  week of school.

Investing in Innovation (i3) grant coordinator Justin Barbeau said the first meetings went well, but some aspects will be revised.

“This is a big change, so logistic details will need to be worked out,” Barbeau said. “I’ve talked to the people in all the meetings and they’ve been passing info on to me, but so far, so smooth.”

Principal Rob Metz said he hopes these meetings are effective, despite their impact on class time.

“I do hear a few complaints from teachers, mostly that they want 50 minutes,” he said. “I’m hoping the trade-off will be worth it.”

Teacher Chris Nordmark said he thinks the program will benefit students.

“When I was in high school there was nothing like this,” Nordmark said. “It builds a feeling of  support and community.”

Schilz said she likes having time to observe student progress, but  she also said that she struggles with the changing schedule.

“I like having a set time to do this, but it’s hard to remember when class is over,” Schilz said. “Being a science teacher there is absolutely no way I can do (some) labs Tuesday and Thursday, so (I have to) plan accordingly.”

To reduce the difference in class time, one minute has been added to every class on Tuesday and Thursday. The time came out of lunch, which is now only one minute longer than the rest of the week.

To further maximize Tuesday and Thursday class time, school announcements have been moved to Mondays and Wednesdays, when class periods are longer.

However, Metz said the extra 20 minutes students have before school on Tuesdays and Thursdays have not been a problem.

“I’ve been walking around watching what (students are) doing, and they’ve been very good. They’ve found places to go,” Metz said. “I’m hoping (students) find someplace to go that’s helpful to them.”

Sophomore Jordan Loshaw said he sees how the time adjustment can be helpful for students doing homework, but does not think the changes seem to be beneficial to the school at large.

“It’s kind of a waste of school time because most students don’t do anything,” Loshaw said. “Nothing has really changed since they started it.”

Junior Kevin Ballenger, however, said he finds the extra time helpful.

“You get more time to socialize. I use it to sleep (and) catch up for my classes,” he said. “Most people seem happy.”

While some students have enjoyed the extra time, Nordmark said many teachers have been pleased by the added monitoring.

“We all want our students to do well, not only in our class, but in all their classes,” Nordmark said. “That desire translates to a positive reception of this.”