Pep band undergoes changes

Changes bring excitement for the upcoming year
Estrella Ochoa
Band practices a music piece during class Sept. 19. Pep Band hopes to expand its reach by playing at new events this year.

With both the start of a new school year and a brand new band director, the pep band is undergoing some changes. Along with the influx of new members and the annual update to the song catalog, the pep band is also planning to expand their horizons by playing at more sporting events. 

New band director Annaliese Heim said she is feeling optimistic about the pep band’s progress. 

“This is my first year here,” Heim said. “My students have had to deal with a lot of changes but it’s going great.”

Senior Aaron Casey-Fix said he is optimistic about the growing members of the band.

“I’m excited to see the new people play. We have a lot of incoming freshmen and the sophomores are now part of the wind ensemble,” Casey-Fix said. “It’d be really fun to play with new players in the band and get to know people a little better.”

The pep band is going to be switching up the style of music they’ll be playing this year. According to Heim, introducing new music is a great way to refresh the pep band. 

“I’m really excited about (the) new tunes this year because it’s been really fun (so far) especially for the upperclassmen,” Heim said. “They’re not just playing the same songs over and over again.” 

Casey-Fix said he is in favor of this year’s new tunes and looks forward to playing new music. 

“I like the new pieces,” Casey-Fix said. “I like Funkytown. That one’s really fun and people will like hearing that song from the band (in concert).”

Collinet-Adler says that he is looking forward to playing at sporting events this year.

“Including some other sports is a good idea. I’m excited to play at the homecoming game,” Collinet-Adler said.

Heim said she is eager to expand the pep band’s horizons. She said by playing at more events, it will help the games feel like a more fun, supportive and welcoming place for all students. 

“We’re really hoping that it can bring more energy to the crowd and make more athletes feel like they’re supported by the band,” Heim said. “Some students like pep band more than others but they’re all willing to step up to the plate and (to) make an effort and make everyone at the games feel welcome, regardless of their grade level.”