New Pre-registration for teens in Minnesota

Minnesota democracy expands
Photo+Illustration
Lex Lee
Photo Illustration

The most recent legislative cycle in Minnesota passed The Democracy For The People Act: a bill that aims to help further voter accessibility in Minnesota. Among all of the legislative items in the bill, one item was pre-registration: a new process in which 16-17 year olds can pre-register to vote, so when they turn 18 they will already be registered  to vote. 

Sophomore Tess Machalek said the recent legislation could increase voter turnout for young people. 

“It’s a good thing to drive voter turnout in young groups, 18 to 20-year-olds who really made a difference in the last (2020) election,” Machalek said.

Social studies teacher Carley Kregness said pre-registration could remove a barrier of entry some people face. 

“It’s great because one of the things that often stops people voting the first time is not realizing or just not pre-planning that step of registering,” Kregness said.

Machalek said pre-registration was passed because people are starting to realize how important civic engagement is. 

“I think it (pre-registration) was implemented because more people are starting to notice the value of civic engagement,” Machalek said. “Especially in young people, and that drives voter engagement later in life.” 

Sophomore Ethan Yakes said the Minnesota government implemented pre-registration to drive more people to vote.

“(It was made) to get more people to vote,” Yakes said. “I think a lot of people don’t want to vote right now.”

Machalek said it can help younger people become more engaged within their communities throughout their lives, and help make sure they vote constantly as they grow older. 

“Studies have shown that the earlier that kids are registered, the more civically involved they become, and the more likely they are to vote when they’re older,” Machalek said.

Kregness said it’s a great option that kids should utilize. 

“I think it’s a great tool,” Kregness said. “Now that it’s an option, I would encourage everybody to do it.”

As pre-registration opens up to more and more 16 and 17-year-olds, high school students at Park and statewide are signing up to be able to vote for the future