FAFSA pushed to end of year

Form redesign leaves students waiting
Rachel Arkis

As seniors scramble to finish up all of their college applications, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) looms overhead. However, that distance keeps moving further and further as it keeps being rescheduled to a later date. The FAFSA is an important form for college applicants because it informs colleges and various programs of the applicant’s economic status, so they may obtain financial aid. Originally, the form for the FAFSA was going to be released on Oct. 1, but its release was pushed back three months to Dec. 31

According to senior Elena Colacci, these changes have been confusing and hard to keep up with.

“The FAFSA (is) coming out on Dec. 31 this year, for a while it was coming out on Dec. 1, but it’s not, so it’s been confusing to keep up with all the news and information about the FAFSA,” Colacci said. “I’m trying to get prepared, so I can do it as fast as possible.”

According to testing coordinator Terresa Petta, the FAFSA will be more difficult this year. However, she said they are working to make it as good as it can by the deadline.

“The FAFSA is going to be a challenge this year. I knew it as soon as I saw they were making these changes, I had concerns that it wouldn’t roll out smoothly,” Petta said. “I think the people coordinating the FAFSA are still trying to work through some of the glitches in the system and make sure that when it’s pushed out there it’s ready to go.” 

Senior Julian Lambe said he will still be filling out the FAFSA, so they can make college more affordable.

“I am going to be applying to the FAFSA just because I can’t afford college on my own, and neither can my parents,” Lambe said.

According to Petta, the FAFSA has been redesigned with more opportunities for equity. She said these changes are to make the form simpler for more people to complete after the FAFSA in 2023.

“They are trying to make it easier. I am seeing that they are going to have everyone agree to allow the FAFSA to upload your IRS information as a direct upload instead of putting it in by hand,” Petta said. “That will be simpler, and it’s also trying to ensure equity and figure out who is contributing to your income and find if there is a lack, they can fill the gap.”

Lambe said the FAFSA being pushed back this year makes it harder for those applying this year.

“I think it’s going to be really harmful to a lot of students who would be normally applying early action and early decision to schools,” Lambe said. “But now they can’t because they waited for the FAFSA to be available so they can be sure to have the support they need.” 

According to Colacci, financial aid is necessary for her and others. She said she must complete the form to obtain the help she needs.

“I certainly need financial aid, as do many other people. For people to get that aid, they must fill out the FAFSA, so I have to fill out the FAFSA,” Elena said.

According to Petta, students should sign up for the FAFSA on its website with your guardians as soon as you can to make it as easy as you can when you complete the form.

“I would encourage students to go to the FAFSA website and sign up to join as early as they can,” Petta said. “If you have not completed a FAFSA before, you and your contributors should go in and be set up because it takes a little bit of time for your account to be set up. It’s easier to do that part of it because that takes a little bit of time just to get set up.”

The FAFSA will be available by Dec. 31 for all students applying for college or already enrolled.