Treasuring teachers

How we can help teachers feel appreciated
Annika Koch
Students talk to spanish teacher Hanna Anderson after class. The bracelets on her wrist are part of an activity for staff appreciation week at Park.

In the wake of teachers appreciation week, students have been challenged with acknowledging the importance of teachers in their lives and discovering what they do to make Park’s staff feel valued. Teachers put many hours into planning, teaching and grading every school year. It’s important to remind educators that they are making a difference in people’s lives and that students are learning. This year, Park’s administration had a week of different events and gifts, including popcorn, tacos, and a bracelet game, to make the staff feel important.

Science teacher Megan Seigle said it’s nice to be recognized for what she does. This year, for teacher appreciation week, the administration was treating teachers to games and food.

“I like to be recognized — this week the admin delivered us treats,” said Seigle said. “Today, the union put together something. Friday’s thing is lunch, and there’s a couple of other things mixed in there.”

Junior Sophia Dvorak said there’s a teacher that impacts each student the most. According to her, it’s important to show appreciation and recognize people who have such a large effect on your life.

“I believe everyone, at a point in their life, has one teacher that really stays with them forever, and you need to just show them that they matter and that they are helping (you) succeed in life,” said Dvorak said.

Siegle said there’s a lot of improvement that students can do, especially with the smart passes and leaving the room. According to her, to appreciate teachers, little things such as not leaving the classroom and using passes are important because they impact teachers.

“Not leaving the classroom without a pass or asking to leave is something that shows respect,” said Seigle said. “Just doing what I ask is a way to show that you appreciate me.”

According to junior Kaylee Rice, helping teachers can be as easy as showing up on time and not interrupting class.; She said by being on task and acting properly, it shows respect.

“I help make my teachers feel appreciated. I show up to class on time and try my best to stay engaged, trying not to be a distraction,” said Rice said. “When I’m not feeling the best, I try to remain as engaged as possible.”

According to Dvorak, teachers and students have to be in mutual respect. She said if there is a mutual effort into appreciating and caring for each other, then appreciation can be found, but if respect only goes one way, then appreciation won’t be found.

“Respect and care goes both ways,” said Dvorak said. “If it’s just a one-sided thing, I don’t think it’s going to work out. Both people need to take the care and effort into loving (and) appreciating each other.”

According to Rice, teachers are putting effort into their work beyond just the school day, and; teachers putting in extra work to make the year better should definitely be appreciated.

“It’s important to remember that teachers are in and out of class throughout the entire school year,” said Rice said. “Some teachers even do more than asked to do. As students, we need to recognize this.”