Tracking ensures attendance

New identification cards allow Texas school to track students for funding

While many people claim an action taken by a Texas school district to track students using radio frequency IDs is an attack on freedom, the program actually serves to protect students and schools and to increase funding.

This program, instituted by the Northside Independent School District (ISD) in San Antonio, gives each student a new “smart” ID card that they must wear in order to streamline attendance taking.

The “smart” IDs are certainly constitutionally permissible and increase school safety and funding. Although they have benefits, they would not be worth the cost for Park.

The new IDs do not invade the privacy of students. RFIDs are microchips that transmit radio signals over a short distance to transfer information. They are frequently used in corporation ID cards. Although frequently confused with the abilities of GPS, RFIDs can only be tracked within approximately 10 yards of an ID reader, so schools are not able to track students when they are off school grounds.

“Smart” IDs are no more of an invasion of privacy than taking attendance with a pencil and paper. In addition, according to the American Civil Liberties Union of Utah, students already have a reduced right to privacy within a public school building because of a school’s need for safety and discipline.

Some people have also voiced concerns about the security of using a “smart” ID system, however,  gaining access to the information collected would just as harmless as stealing a teacher’s attendance sheet. The ID tags contain only a number for the cardholder. No personal information about students is stored on the IDs.

The ISD’s main justification for the program is money. In Texas, and in many other states, a large portion of education funding is based on average daily attendance. The “smart” IDs will ensure all students, including those who arrive late, are counted and earn money for their school. The district estimates the tags could earn them an additional $1.7 million a year in government funding.

IDs also increase building security. The IDs make it more difficult for unauthorized people to enter the building. They allow schools to keep tabs on guests while they are in the building.

Thus far, the biggest problem with the RFIDs is not the cards themselves, but how the district has chosen to implement them. Some students in Northside ISD, have refused to wear the ID cards because they believe doing so goes against their religion. The district has failed to offer alternatives for such students. This is a major constitutional problem, because schools should respect people’s constitutional right of religion.

RFIDs can be effectively used to increase funding and do not violate students’ right to privacy. However, implementing such a program at Park would be illogical.