What we’ve learned from Benilde

The words seemed to reverberate. “Do we want to lose to Benilde-St. Margaret’s, a team we have never lost to?” For me, it seemed natural to loathe the Knights.
Now, with the decision to move to a new athletic conference that no longer includes Benilde-St. Margaret’s, it is time to say goodbye to ridicule and hostility. We need to change our perception of our competitors and realize that hostility is not conducive to being a good team player.
A mere four years ago I awaited my first swim meet against Benilde. When the day of the meet finally arrived, our senior captains gave a long and admirable speech about how the boys’ swim team had never lost to Benilde. It was clear that Benilde was the “enemy” and that even us tiny freshmen should have a hatred toward the Knights. The slightest thought of defeat ignited the deepest, darkest and most earnest fear in me. Losing to the enemy was not an option.
This year as a captain of the swim team, while I still restated the importance of our victorious tradition, I realized that victory for us was not about continuing the tradition of hostility. Rather, victory was the opportunity for Benilde to motivate us to swim harder and faster. When I looked out on my teammates, I realized that their eyes no longer glimmered with hate but with determination.
An Oriole should be passionate, enthusiastic and competitive, not hateful.
We have all heard the slander during soccer and basketball games against Benilde; the savage remarks, with shouts like “school is free!” from the crowd. These remarks and the distasteful attitude of some are a travesty to what Park sportsmanship should be.
Condemning Benilde because of petty perceptions of the Knight’s “snobbery” and the contempt for private schools is not true rivalry, it’s hostility. If grievances and negativity motivate competition, the most competition can be is a game of malice.
True rivalry lies in competition that drives us to succeed. Rivalry is about being so engaged with school spirit that you “bleed black and orange” and fight to your last breath to win. It motivates camaraderie between teammates and impassions us.
As we face new and fierce competitors in the coming years, let us learn from Benilde. We should not degrade our opponents and make them enemies, but rather let our competition drive us to success.
Every good opponent should encourage us to run faster, throw farther, skate quicker, kick harder and swim faster whether victorious or not. That’s what a good opponent does—they inspire you to earn success.

What’s the point?

-Victory starts with respecting your opponent
-Hostility does not promote athleticism
-Rivalry should drive success, not hatred