Park Overlooks Diwali

Diwali remains an uncelebrated holiday at Park

Over 6 million citizens in the United States celebrate Diwali, recognizing Diwali is an opportunity for students to share their culture and feel seen. Park gives students a day off for important dates such as, Hanukkah, Yom Kippur, Indigenous Peoples Day and Eid, and we have an entire winter break centered around Christmas. In India, Diwali is considered the most important holiday of the year. Known as the festival of lights, this holiday symbolizes “victory of light over darkness, good over evil”.  

Diwali is celebrated through family gatherings where groups will get together and bond over religious rituals, traditional stories and clothing. Spectacular fireworks, firecrackers, candles and lamps are lit to ward off evil spirits. This holiday celebrates the birth of the goddess of wealth named Lakshmi. To welcome this goddess, devotees will clean and paint their house in order to honor her visit. Lakshmi is said to visit every home giving them blessings of prosperity and wealth. 

Family feasts are also a typical practice during Diwali. Samosas are one of the delicious appetizers that people usually enjoy on this holiday. Samosas can be vegetarian or non-vegetarian and are stuffed with potatoes, peas, onion, lentils and a variety of spices. A main dish that is regularly served on Diwali is saag paneer which is full of spinach, leafy greens, and fried paneer which is an Indian type of cottage cheese. Tasting one of these foods is a good way of learning more about Indian culture. You could try one of these dishes at one of the local Indian restaurants in St. Louis Park. 

It’s disappointing that Park doesn’t recognize this holiday, considering the fact that other schools do. Eden Prairie High School hosts a Diwali celebration on Nov. 18 this year. Park could do a better job on educating students on other holidays that are important in different cultures. I also think hosting celebrations led by students would be a good way to integrate our community as a whole. Events led by students would be great opportunities to practice being student leaders, and a good learning opportunity for students to gain a new appreciation for one anothers traditions. 

Park should recognize Diwali and give students a day off of school to allow alumni who celebrate this holiday to have time with their families without falling behind in their schoolwork. Hosting an event to bring more awareness to the celebration of Diwali would be a great way to give students chances to share their cultures and increase a sense of community at Park.