My two weeks spent at a Harvard Program

An introduction to the college life

Harvard has a variety of programs, but I chose their Pre-College one. I gained this opportunity through a  program called Minds Matter. Minds Matter is a three-year college program that spans from sophomore year to senior year. During the summers between school years, students are given the chance to apply to college programs and attend them at no cost. 

When I was applying, there were three schools that stuck out to me. Harvard, Yale and UCLA. I was lucky to get into all three of the programs, but I was stuck between my top two choices, Harvard and Yale. Both of these schools are some of the top schools and I knew I had to choose wisely. Harvard had been a dream school of mine for years, while Yale had just gotten into the picture. I chose Harvard on the basis that going there would give me the chance to have a look at what I might apply to later. 

With the application process also came the decision of which class I wanted to take. I decided to look at the history section to begin with since I am hoping to major in something law-related. The class I ended up applying to was a constitutional law course. We were told prior to attending that to complete the course, we would be given assignments and be graded on a Pass/Fail system.

The Harvard Pre-College program had three sessions. I chose the second session as it was the most convenient, timewise. When I was about two weeks away from attending the program, they had us apply for eight Passport Activities in advance. Passport Activities were required extracurriculars we had to attend. These activities take place in three different categories. Social, college readiness and academic exploration. Most of these activities were held online, but the social ones were held over the weekend and in-person.

The in-person activities I chose were the awkward prom, the trip to Rhode Island and a visit to the Boston Art Museum. I also took part in many other student-led activities, such as karaoke and game nights. These activities helped me gain closer relationships with my classmates, roommates and other summer program attendees as well. Looking back at it, I wouldn’t have traded my activities to be any different.

During my free time, I either did my homework or went with a friend to discover more of Cambridge. This experience was my first time out of state alone, I was extremely curious and wanted to see everything. I was also given a taste of what it would feel like to be a college student. 

Overall, this experience is something that I wouldn’t want to have any other way. It proved to me that picking the Harvard Pre-College program was the right decision. I’m forever grateful to have been given the opportunity to attend this program.