What waits beyond the stress?

The pros and cons of taking an AP test

AP season is one of the most daunting, stressful times in a high schoolers academic career. Students from freshmen to seniors take a range of one to five AP tests a year, and these exams happen within a span of a few days — some people even take two tests in one day. So the big question is, are AP tests really worth it? 

AP classes are college classes. If you pass the final AP test, you acquire that college credit. When obtaining that college credit you are saving hundreds of dollars by not having to take the class in college — passing the AP test can relieve lots of financial burdens and stress. However, that is only if you pass the test. These tests include months of preparation both in class and outside of class. People spend hours studying, and that is often only for one test. If you’re taking more than one test, that is added studying time for a class that you might not even pass. If you’re a historically good test taker that succeeds in that environment, or you can put in the hours to study, this is a great option for you. It relieves a ton of financial stress and can make your college career much easier. 

AP tests take lots of time to study for and require hours of your time on top of your other classwork. It is a commitment if you’re set on passing the test. However, on top of having to dedicate hours of your time on studying the content you also have to pay the $70 fee. For privileged families, that’s a penny in their pocket. The students of these families often are just taking the test to take it. Not to pass it, not to relieve financial stress, or even to be admitted to a good college. This is a massive privilege when some families are depending on that $70 to save hundreds in the future. Why spend that money when it could be used on a student that would use it to their best interest and study so it can benefit their future? Students should not be signing up for the test when they’re not going to put their best foot forward and give their best shot. 

Many students go through with their life figured out and with a plan for the future. Taking AP classes are often a part of the plan, as they look very good on college applications. It is highly suggested to take the AP exam along with the class, as you have been spending the year learning the curriculum. After spending the year learning the content and studying, one would hope that that is enough to pass the class, but for many (including me), that will never be the case. There are many gifted people out there that are natural test takers, and that will benefit them for the rest of their life. However, for the general population, people have to work hard to even learn how to take a standardized test. It is a skill that should be taught in schools, but it’s not, and it’s the downfall of many students and their academic scores. When AP testing comes around, it feels hopeless because no matter how hard I study it feels like I will always fail. 

From financial burdens being lifted to an inevitable failure, I am unsure if AP tests are really worth it. I feel as though everyone should try their hardest on at least one test to see where it leads them, as everyone has different testing experiences. AP tests are often a hit or miss in my experience. I know some people who have always opted out because it doesn’t benefit them, and I know people who always take the test because they thrive in that setting. When it comes to deciding what’s best, everyone has to figure that out for themselves.