No school, no nonsense

Park takes many Fridays off

Throughout the first semester, Park has had no school on countless Fridays for varying reasons. Some of the Fridays indicated the beginning of a holiday weekend or were during winter break. Some were dedicated to professional development and training, and others were decided to be distance learning. Certain Fridays seemingly had no purpose for not being in school. For most, having a day not in school alleviates stress, encourages enjoyment and allows for independence. I overwhelmingly agree. However, I wonder if all of the days we spend not in school could be stalling academic progression.

On the Fridays we have not had school, I have found that students have benefited from not being in class and not being required to do academics. Having a four-day week allows students a reduction to their busy schedule. This, in turn, often allows the week to feel more bearable and what is required of students to be more manageable. Being in school is not easy for all students, as some students consider it to be tiring and repetitive. When a person knows that they only have four days of school that week, I find they are more inclined to be present and motivated to do all they are able in class.

Most people consider these Fridays to not include academics. However, many students dedicate the days that we are not in school to completing assignments and studying. A lot of the people I know will spend half of the day focusing on what they need to do for school and the other half enjoy themselves and doing what they want to. I do the same.

I am someone who has a busy schedule. During the week, I am juggling academics, athletics, clubs and extracurriculars, a job and a social life. When I see I have a Friday with no school, I feel as though I am able to breathe. I know that I can take the day to study or prepare for upcoming assignments, ensuring that I am not overwhelmed the next week, but I am able to sleep in and relax. Having the freedom to choose how I want to spend the day is reassuring and allows me to satisfy personal needs. I think many students see it this way.

Though I will never say no to not having school, I wonder how having an excessive total of Fridays off can be constituted as productive and contributing to one’s education. When we are not in class, we miss valuable instruction. We, as students preparing for life following high school, need to be in a classroom to foster our intelligence. That is not always true, but it is still important that we are able to connect with our teachers and with the material in an engaging manner. In consideration of this, I wonder what knowledge I am missing or progression I am lacking because there has not been consistency. The days not in school may be better spent in school.

Furthermore, I believe those Fridays not in school could be better suited for other dates on our scholastic schedule. I enjoy not being in school on random Fridays, but I would enjoy lengthened breaks, dates that are dedicated to the religious periods and holidays that are neglected or an earlier release at the end of the year. I believe many students would be pleased with that, and by contributing their perspectives, the days we do not have school would be more inclusive and, therefore, more widely enjoyed.

In all, though Park could find better arrangements for the days we do not have school, I think that having certain Fridays without school ultimately benefits students, as it makes the week more manageable and the students feel empowered by the ability to do what they choose.