Do absences matter?

Why absences matter and how they affect students
Max Rider
Student fills out late pass April 12. Students who arrive late must fill out a pass in order to go to class.

Many people might think missing a few classes here and there or maybe a day or two once and awhile might not matter, but the question is, does it? At Park, absences tend to be an issue for many students. Students skip class and don’t participate, leading to less productive classes. Absences are more important than one might think.

First off, absences are very crucial for academic success. When you don’t show up to class, you miss valuable time and probably miss certain lessons that will end up on tests or homework. I know that if I miss one day or even one class, I am immediately behind. Especially as a junior with lots of tests and homework in each class, missing a few periods is critical. Missing a class during the day might lead to lower grades, decreased motivation in school due to the amount of work you have to do and quite possibly a sense of disengagement from school. Absences matter to me because I know that if I miss a certain class and I have lots of make-up work it leads to a lack of motivation for me, because of the amount of work I have to do.

Like I said before, many people might not think absences are that important, but there are many key things that make absences in school important. For example, making it to class on time before the bell and on time leads to great discipline in a high school kid. Discipline is a key part in everyone’s life that allows us to complete tasks on time or to be the best we can. I know that in my life, discipline is a key part that helps me in school. That could be with absences or even completion of homework on time.

Absences can lead to high schoolers lacking certain life skills such as time management and responsibility. Making it to class on time and regular attendance helps students develop these skills by teaching us the importance of being on time to things and having responsibility in our lives. This is why absences really matter. By learning these life skills it allows students like me to develop these skills to succeed in college, in my job or any part of my life. Something people might not think about is how absences shape a classroom. I know that in my experience a class with attendance issues usually leads to a lack of flow in the class and also usually a quiet class that tends to not talk to each other and work together. I personally feel like classes with the best attendance tend to be the most successful because people are always there and the flow is always great in those classes.

Finally, absences are definitely more important than most people think they are. Absences are the second most important thing in school behind grades. Missing class can lead to getting behind and a lack of time management and discipline. This is why I believe absences are more important than most people think they are.

Overall, absences are keeping Park behind from our potential. Park is making the proper steps to address the issues of absences.