Goalie receives nomination for top award

Sam Birnberg

More stories from Sam Birnberg

William Phelan

More stories from William Phelan

Jacob Stillman

More stories from Jacob Stillman

eSports team created
November 16, 2017
Senior goaltender Annika Carlander prepares to deny an Eden Prairie forward. Park/Hopkins lost 7-1 to the Eagles

Adam Johnson

Girls’ hockey player recognized

Senior goalie Annika Carlander received a nomination for the Let’s Play Hockey Ms. Goalie of the Year award on Feb. 2.

This season, Carlander has a .908 save percentage and has allowed 2.36 goals per game, according to Minnesota Hockey Hub.

Park/Hopkins varsity head coach Chris Erickson said Carlander deserved the nomination as one of the top goalies in the state.

“She practices hard and plays hard. She has been a leader and played well in net. She has kept us in a lot of games,” Erickson said.

Carlander learned she was nominated for the award when she received an email. She said she didn’t know she would be a semifinalist.

“I knew my coach put my name in, but I didn’t know I would actually get picked,” Carlander said.

Erickson said by being nominated as a finalist, Carlander was recognized as one of the 10 best goalies in the state.

“It is an honor. When we looked at the other goalies, to be in that mix is a great honor,” Erickson said.

Carlander said she credits part of her success to her teammates.

“It feels so good. I cannot take all the credit though. (I’ve) got to hand it to my team for helping me out and making me look so good,” Carlander said.

Carlander said the nomination instills confidence in her and her team as they head into Sections.

“We feel good. We’re ready to see how far we make it and see the upsets we’re about to hand out to some of these teams,” Carlander said.

Park/Hopkins will play their first Sections game at 2:15 p.m. Feb. 11 at Parade Ice Garden against North Metro.