Game changers: top five fall sports moments

This fall season’s five most unforgettable moments

The first notable sports moment this fall season was done by junior Amara Schroeder, who achieved 1000 assists as a Park varsity volleyball player. Amara has just finished her third varsity volleyball season, and in Park’s game against Coon Rapids she got her 1000th assist in her time as an athlete at Park. This was a very exciting moment for the volleyball community, as it was not an easy accomplishment. Volleyball requires intense hand-eye coordination as well as athleticism. 

Another athlete who did an amazing job this fall season is senior Vesna Dennison. As one of the captains of the girls varsity soccer team, Dennison led her team to a last minute victory over Chanhassen on senior night. Until the last ten minutes of the game, the two teams were tied 1-1. Dennison pulled through with a last minute goal, securing the win for Park. She is such an outstanding player that she got nominated for the Ms. Soccer award and was one of five finalists in the entire state of Minnesota. The Ms. Soccer award is an award meant to honor the state’s top senior players every year. As a member of the girls soccer program myself, we are so proud of Vesna Dennison for this huge accomplishment.

An additional unforgettable moment was the boys soccer team’s 3-1 win against Benilde. This win was exciting because it was unexpected and put the team in good spirits. Teamwork and cooperation led the team to the important win, as well as hard work and communication. Not giving up mentally or physically is tough. However, the team persevered throughout the entire season and their hard work paid off. Roughly halfway through the season, a win was just what the team needed to gain confidence and energy. 

Despite a relatively tough regular season this fall with a record of 1-7, the football team triumphed over Minneapolis Southwest in the first game of sections. Park won the game 7-3, advancing to the second round of section games. This was a very exciting moment. After a six-game losing streak, a section win was exactly what the team needed to end the season on a high note. 

This season, senior Jersey Miller qualified for her fifth girls cross country state appearance. Miller placed 11th individually at the 6AAA sections meet and finished sixth overall as a team out of seven. Miller’s strong finish at sections qualified her to race in the state meet on Nov. 4. which took place at The University of Minnesota’s Les Bolstad Golf Course in St. Paul. Miller placed 40th overall at the state meet out of 160 athletes, an amazing way to end an impressive season. 

Overall, this year’s fall sports were eventful, challenging, exciting and most of all fun. Park has created exceptional athletes who continue to impress the community day after day.