Boys’ golf team made up of younger players

Captain previews season

Junior captain Billy Nicholls practices with the golf team after school at the Brooklyn Park golf dome. The team's first varsity conference match will be held on April 10.

Hanna Schechter

Hanna Schechter

Hanna Schechter

Junior boys’ golf captain Billy Nicholls said he is excited to work with the incoming golfers and teach them new skills.  

“I’m looking forward to getting back out there and competing again (and) to get back on the course and practice with everybody,” Nicholls said.

According to Nicholls, because the team consists of mostly middle schoolers, this year will be an informational year for the young golfers.

“This year we have a lot more young talent,” Nicholls said. “We lost a lot of senior talent, so it will kind of be a rebuilding year, but I think we are going to have fun with the group of kids we have.”

Boys’ golf head coach Mike Okey said the main difference from last season is the absence of seniors from the team.

“Last year we had three senior captains. This year we have one junior captain,” Okey said. “So our better golfers are our younger golfers. We had three juniors play consistent varsity last year so we’ll have them this year.”

According to Okey the varsity roster changes consistently for each match.

“The varsity roster is pretty fluid. Every match we have six varsity guys playing and those guys are picked based on how they’re going at the moment,” Okey said.

Nicholls said it will take some work to get back into a consistent groove.

“We probably just need to knock the dust off and get back into it again and just work on our short games,” Nicholls said.

According to gopark.org, the team’s first conference varsity match will be at 1 p.m. April 10 at the Minnesota Valley Country Club.

Maddie Lund, Features Editor

Hey! My name is Maddie Lund and I am one of the features editors for the Echo! I am a senior this year. You can almost always find me at Spyhouse Coffee...

Hanna Schechter, Copy Editor

Hi!!! :))) My name is Hanna and I am your co-in-depth editor. You’ll find me playing tennis, reading and hanging out with my ultimate frisbee team. Yes,...