Boys’ golf swings into new season

Team is confident in future at captain’s practices commence

Despite losing two seniors, including triple state competitor Matt Cichoski, Park boys’ golf captain Nolan Rockers said he is looking forward towards improvements.

“This season will be a young team and I am looking forward to seeing the team grow and get better, I want the team to work on emotions as they are a huge part of golf. I noticed that when not getting mad over a stupid shot that happened four holes ago I tend to shoot better,” Rockers said.

Last season the team end in 4th in the North Suburban Confrence. According to Rockers the team enjoyed a conference meet in the past spring, where they beat Benilde Saint-Margarent’s by five points to take first place. Boy’s golf coach Greg Goddard said he was pleased with how parts of the season had gone.

“A high point was qualifying Matt for his third state competition in a row,” Goddard said. “We had a great first part of the season, and I would love to have that first half again.”

However, according to Rockers there were some low points including the team dropping in rank in the overall conference due to underperforming at the midseason conference match. As they look to the future, Rockers said he is ready to help the team learn and succeed.

“I hope to use these changes (in the team) by getting them the information that I wish I would have been told when I was their age,” Rockers said. “I hope to accomplish a pre shot routine (involving positioning and ball plafement) or the players. Goddard emphasized that greatly and I hope to carry that to the captains practices as well.”

Goddard said he too was confident in the team’s ability to hopefully come together and do well this upcoming season.

“The big thing is that we have got some real good leadership coming in the form of Nolan and Tommy,” Goddard said.

Those captain practices are set to begin soon at the Centerbrook golf center as the team prepares for the upcoming season starting on March 18th.