Underrated Artists: LUCKI, BigXthaPlug, Ken Carson, Kodak Black

Four overlooked artists in the rap game
Fair use from Genius

Welcome to “Underrated Artists,” an entertainment column from the St. Louis Park Echo covering unpopular and unknown artists. Every week, a different Echo staffer takes on the role of writer, reviewing single releases and albums from four underrated artists.

One of my go-to artists when it comes to everyday listening is LUCKI. He is relatively known, but not talked about nearly enough. LUCKI has a ton of good songs, and it’s hard to find bad ones throughout his discography. The first song that really skyrocketed his fame was “Sunset,” released in late 2017. A few others that make up my daily rotation include “Randomly,” “Space Boy” and “Sessions.” It’s very easy to listen to LUCKI. His mellow tone and laid-back lyrics make you want to keep listening to his music. He has great production and his beats always match the energy of his voice. LUCKI doesn’t make songs that you want to skip, and he is definitely underrated.

Another artist that deserves more attention is BigXthaPlug. His music is more upbeat and he combines rap lyrics with creative production. Some of his best include “Mmhmm” and “Levels.” His exciting approach to rap makes you want to find more and more of his songs. Another good song by BigXthaPlug is “Texas.” He’s rapping over an old western-type trap beat and it’s something I’ve never heard before. He seems to be coming out with more and more hits as well, dropping 3 albums in the past year alone. BigXthaPlug is relatively new to the rap game, and I am very excited to see what’s next in his music career.

Ken Carson is also a name that can’t be overlooked. Coming from New York, Carson has been making impacts with his unique blend of rap and cool production. Ken Carson has released a ton of hit music over the past 3 years and people are still sleeping on him. Tracks like “Geeked Up,” “Yale,” and “Rock N Roll” showcase his ability to blend emotive lyrics with captivating beats. Carson’s style and production combined with other Opium Label artists like Destroy Lonely set him apart from the rest, and prove exactly why he’s underrated. Carson has a dedicated fan base for a reason, and it’s no surprise he has made a quick rise in the rap industry.

Last but not least, Kodak Black is an artist who has been in the industry for several years now, yet his impact on the music industry is often underappreciated. A lot of people find Kodak’s music mediocre, yet they don’t understand the influence he’s had. With his distinctive Southern accent, Kodak has carved out a niche for himself in the rap game. Songs like “Transportin’,” “Already” and “Like Dat” have become anthems for a generation. Despite facing many challenges throughout his career, including legal troubles and personal setbacks, Kodak has stayed impactful to the game. His unique style is totally underappreciated, and his contributions to the rap industry don’t get nearly enough love.