Underrated Artists: Rayland Baxter, Towa Bird, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Raybull

Heard of but never listened
Fair use from Genius
Fair use from Genius

Welcome to “Underrated Artists,” an entertainment column from the St. Louis Park Echo covering unpopular and unknown artists. Every week, a different Echo staffer takes on the role of writer, reviewing single releases and albums from four underrated artists.

With a few albums under his belt, Rayland Baxter has been playing around with his music for over a decade now. I was introduced to his music when he released his most recent album, Wide Awake. His music is an unexpected pop country mix that gives him some individuality. The song that initially caught my attention was “Angeline” due to its woodsy, original feel. The lyrics can tell the story so well and makes you understand his passions and the story he is telling. When listening to his music it captures the feeling of the woods so well with its calm, catchy beat and guitar in the background. His voice has a subtle rasp that draws me in, but it’s not a Miley Cyrus level rasp that can grate in your ear. Baxter has mastered his personal sound as his music has shown evolution but consistency through the years. It is clear Baxter has lived a full life, filled with adventure as each and every one of his songs tells a new story and adventure he has endured. If you are one who doesn’t shy away from country music and love a captivating story, Rayland Baxter is for you.

An artist that I’ve recently discovered is Towa Bird. She is new to the music scene but can be distinguished by her song “B.I.L.L.S.” that was released earlier this year. Bird released her first single and album only last year. With 800k month listeners she is rapidly growing but still lacking the attention she deserves. She has a strong voice filled with powerful vocals that echo through your head. Her lyrics are filled with passion and each song reveals so much about her and who she is as a person. Birds’ pop-rock feel makes you want to dance and sign along with no skips. If you are a fan of Renee Rapp, you will likely fall in love with Towa. That being said, you might recognize Bird after she and Rapp revealed their relationship at the Vanity Fair Oscars party. As Bird continues to develop as a musician and individual, it is clear her music and fan base will as well.

This next band is famous in Wales but has yet to reach any popularity in the United States. Catfish and the Bottlemen is a British indie rock band that has made its debut in Conwy, Wales and reached number ten in the UK Albums chart. The band consists of four members that all complement each other musically . I was introduced to it after I was obsessed with a different Irish band, Inhaler. They have very similar sounds but Catfish and the Bottlemen have a more “granola”, rustic sound. One of my favorite songs of theirs is “7”. This is because of the clarity of their voices when they sing which is unique for a rock band. Many times rock bands will sing but it can feel rushed and confusing but with Catfish and the Bottlemen its far different. Not only is there extreme clarity in their voices but the instrumental complement their voices perfectly. In all of their songs there is a steady calm drum beat with some guitar to accompany the beat. With their catchy beats and calm beats their music is a perfect addition to any summer playlist.

Last, Raybull is an eccentric duo. I was introduced to their music after one of their songs popped up on my Spotify daylist. The first song I would listen to of theirs is “The New Thing Dies,” a song filled with highs and lows that show the duo’s true range between both of their voices. Both of their voices are so different but complement each other so well as when one of their voices goes up the other goes down. With these contradicting vocals it gives them this unique sound that is something new everyone should hear. Their instrumentals are all well placed as well. They use techno beats mixed with classical instruments which is a strange pair but as I said before they somehow make it work with their voices. If you are a fan of exploring new avenues when it comes to music, Raybull is for you. Overall, their music has its quirks but is very deserving of more attention.