Orchestra springs into action

Council helps organize concert, ice cream social

From performing historically significant music to eating ice cream, sophomore orchestra member Josie Goodman will be busy as the school year comes to a close.

The Orchestra Council is helping plan a couple events including a spring concert and ice cream social to commemorate the year and look forward to the future. The events are meant to present the orchestra’s work this year and also help raise money for the upcoming trip to Paris and London in 2014.

For the concert, orchestra members have been preparing a variety of pieces that encompass a number of time periods and types of music with the hope of giving audience members a sense of music history. Some of these pieces include “Ashoken Farewell,” which is based on the Civil War, and the “St. Paul Suite.”

Goodman said she is excited to play pieces incorporating different styles of music and is wants to show the audience what she has learned from the pieces.

“We are performing pieces that we have worked on for a long time,” she said. “We’ve put in a lot of effort and come a long way since the beginning of the year.”

In addition to the spring concert, the orchestra program is organizing an ice cream social for orchestra participants of all ages. The event will also include letter point awards.

Orchestra Council Co-President junior Johnny Somaiah said the Council is still working on the details of the event, but he thinks the social will be beneficial to the program as a whole.

“I hope it unifies the program so everyone can get a feeling for participation numbers and get to know each other better,” he said. “Junior high and elementary students will get to see the older members and learn from them.”

The spring concert is scheduled for 7 p.m. on May 28 in the high school auditorium and the ice cream social will take place in early June.