Prom planning continues

Student Council suffers low turnout for early-morning meeting

Serena Bovee

Park’s student council met on April 13 to plan prom. They spent the meeting discussing the best food selection for the event.

Johanna Kaplan and Maren Wilsey

With prom approaching May 13, Park’s Student Council bears the task of putting together an unforgettable experience for juniors and seniors alike. Students have now decided on a theme for the dance, according to adviser Kaelyn Dagon.

“The theme that was chosen was ‘Under the Stars,’ which is a super timeless and classic theme, so I’m really excited to see how we end up decorating,” Dagon said.

Because prom occurs in May, Student Council members are well-experienced in planning events by this point in the year, according to adviser Emily Rennhak.

“It being our third dance of the year, we have a better idea of how to construe the process and know how to advertise and get information out to students,” Rennhak said. 

Despite prom being a highlight for many students, few people attended the Student Council meeting to take part in the planning process, according to junior Cayden Kuss. 

“Not a lot of people showed up, they probably didn’t want to be here in the morning, but I’d say we (still) got some stuff done working on the prom situation,” Kuss said.

Rennhak said the club’s low turnout was not only due to the meeting time but also due to other factors.

“At the end of the year, fewer students are showing up to meetings, especially because underclassmen aren’t part of this dance, so we’ve lost some underclassmen,” Rennhak said. 

One goal for Student Council is to get more students involved, according to Dagon. 

“For next year, we’re hoping to recruit more kids, because now we are very senior-heavy,” Dagon said. “We’re just gonna keep rebuilding until we get a good, consistent group of kids that want to spread SLP spirit.”

Although this meeting yielded a small crowd, it was still as productive as ever, according to Rennhak.

“For the students that were here, it was really great,” Rennhak said. “(It) sounds like they were collaborating and sharing ideas and weighing out the best options for food, music and ways to get student voices throughout the school.”