Medicine motivates students

HOSA chapter begins at Park
HOSA+members+play+a+team+building+game+at+the+weekly+meeting.+They+did+many+team+building+activities+at+the+meeting+Nov.+29.+
Clara Bagne
HOSA members play a team building game at the weekly meeting. They did many team building activities at the meeting Nov. 29.

With students discussing career readiness and opportunities following high school, there has been a great elevation of interest in the healthcare field. Students have taken their futures into their own hands by beginning a HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) chapter at Park. Alongside the CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) program, the club provides a space for gathering like-minded people who share a common interest to further expose them to the various opportunities and directions of the medical field.

According to club advisor Allison Luskey, HOSA is a student-led organization for young people who want a career in healthcare or medicine. She said it is personal to each student within the organization, encompassing professional interactions and interactive learning which relates to what the members are passionate about.

“There are HOSA chapters all over the United States, and what is unique about HOSA is that it is student-led,” Luskey said. “Students get to really decide the direction they want to go. Some of the chapters will bring in guest speakers. They might do field experiences for field trips that students can go on. There are competitions, and you get to know students from other high schools. They will do different competitions, and there are so many different opportunities. There is exposure to all of the opportunities out there, and students can join the club in ninth grade.”

Senior co-president Siham Mohamoud said being interested in the health care field and in medicine was what motivated her to create a place for students to become a collective and learn together. She said when she had discovered there was not a HOSA chapter at Park, she knew that it would be important to start one.

“Me and Aliya came to Ms. Luskey and asked her about HOSA and if there was one. We reflected on how there wasn’t one at the school and how we wanted to build that community,” Mohamoud said. “We decided to create it for people who are underclassmen to continue it after we graduate. I am excited to see everyone progress and learn more about what they are interested in.”

According to sophomore Faduma Lodon, the club is inspiring and important because it gives students a community and the ability to assess whether or not healthcare and medicine could be their passion.

“HOSA gives a good push into the healthcare field because, in being a part of it, you already learn a bunch. You’re learning medical words, and you are getting opportunities to meet more people and make connections through health care,” Lodon said. “Through the school, it gives you a community of people who want to go into the same field as you. I feel it is going to give us a huge community.”

Luskey said HOSA has resources that can help those who are interested in practicing medicine or finding careers within the healthcare field, allowing them to try different kinds of involvement in the club.

“I think there are many things that have generated excitement for the healthcare field, and there is a huge need, especially right now, to get into the healthcare field. The jobs are just waiting for students to get out there,” Luskey said. “(In HOSA) there are opportunities to meet people and see what involvement you want because there are different areas of involvement.”

According to Mohamoud, the club is welcoming to everyone, and they hope that more people will come and find how they can be involved with the resources and plans they have regarding HOSA.

“You can find something within healthcare to fit you. There is something in healthcare for everyone,” Mohamoud said. “HOSA is a great opportunity to not fully commit but to learn.”

The next meeting will be at 3:15 p.m. on Nov. 29 in A205.