Best dress codes for SLP sports

Jack Betzer
Baseball players Alex Hokenson and Griffin Krone discuss their upcoming game May 28. Their next game is May 30.

School dress codes are a cherished tradition for sports teams to show their team spirit on game day. Typically, all players will dress to a certain theme for school on the days of their games to bring enthusiasm.

As a two sport athlete, I’ve seen my fair share of dress codes. I was also a captain for one of my sports and the process of planning a dress code that is fun yet easy for all players to do is not an easy task. Here are some of the best and worst dress codes I’ve seen around the school.

One of the best and most creative dress codes that I’ve seen teams do is soccer mom vs. barbeque dad. It includes dressing up like a mom bringing her kids to soccer practice or a dad grilling food for a barbeque in the backyard. This is always fun to see students participating in because it’s funny and there’s a lot of different perspectives you can take. This is also a nice one because it uses items that many students have at home and they can dress it up or down as much as they feel comfortable.

A dress code that I look forward to every year is USA- dressing in red, white and blue. This dress code is simple, but can be taken further with accessories if players want to. It’s colorful and pretty common so other students recognize what the team is doing. This dress code strikes the perfect balance between exciting and easy.

Another dress code that I love is wearing sports jerseys. This one is really simple, but it’s clear to other students what sport you are a part of because jerseys are very distinct. It’s also colorful and diverse because students can wear jerseys for teams that they are passionate about. This is also easy for students to execute because many of us have sports jerseys at home, or you can participate by wearing the actual jersey for your sport.

One dress code that I dislike is the “crayon” or monochrome dress code. Although it is usually pretty easy, I think it’s hard for people to recognize. Many people wear monochrome to school on a normal day and it’s hard to distinguish this dress code from a regular outfit.

Another dress code that I dislike is the “alien” or neon dress code. I feel like this is hard for a lot of people to do because not a lot of people own neon clothes. This makes the dress code fall apart and have low participation. It’s also not super popular so other students don’t recognize this dress code when teams do it.

The last dress code that I don’t love is twin day. It’s not the worst dress code to have, but it doesn’t have a very team feel because the dress code is between two people. There is also no way for other students to determine the dress code because there is only matching in pairs. It also excludes players that may not be able to find someone to match with and it is a lot to have to coordinate.