Climate inheritance bill implemented

Youth help shape future of environment

Alec Pittman

Sophomore Roots and Shoots member Lukas Wrede said he feels the recent passing of a climate bill displays St. Louis Park as a role model to other cities.

The City Council passed a long-term resolution for St. Louis Park focusing on environmental improvement and ways to provide a cleaner future for the city’s youth May 16.Untitled-4

Wrede said the passage of the resolution demonstrates a huge step forward for the city.

“I think it is momentous for the city. (Roots and Shoots) worked really hard on getting it passed,” Wrede said. “It makes me happy to see the club getting its ideas out into the city.”

Larry Kraft, executive director of iMatter, an environmental youth organization, said the resolution puts St. Louis Park on the right track environmentally.

“It really sets us on the path to be a leader. I think it will also put us on the path to raising awareness among the community that climate change is not some far off thing,” Kraft said.

According to Wrede, many aspects of the resolution will focus on smaller things the public may not recognize.

“It’ll impact Park in a lot of ways we won’t be able to see,” Wrede said. “There will be small things like, different electricity being used.”

According to Kraft, putting the resolution into action takes hard work and a thoughtful effort.

“There is a lot to do to get a really effective climate action plan. What I would love to see is a real focus on implementing it,” Kraft said.

City Council member Anne Mavity said the resolution has no set timeline.

“The timeline is a very long-term timeline. (What) the committee wants to do is create a long-term plan for the city on climate change,” Mavity said. “This is what we very much consider a long-term commitment to doing better about this.”

Kraft said youth have an important role in changing the future of the environment.

“I think that (youth) have a huge role in this. (Youth’s) voice matters a tremendous amount (in these kind of issues),” Kraft said. “Being a leader in this will attract people to (Park) long-term.”