Superintendent requests youth input

Student Leadership Advisory Council discusses school start, end times

Junior+Jordyn+Turek+writes+down+her+opinions+about+the+school+starting+time.+The+youth+Panel+met+during+the+day+Jan.+16+at+SLP+high+school.+

Superintendent requests youth input

Junior Jordyn Turek writes down her opinions about the school starting time. The youth Panel met during the day Jan. 16 at SLP high school.

Abigail Prestholdt

Abigail Prestholdt

Abigail Prestholdt

St. Louis Park superintendent Astein Osei led a meeting with the Student Leadership Advisory Council to hear student perspectives on school start and end times, according to council member, senior Cailey Hansen-Mahoney.

“This meeting specifically we were looking at the work that is being done at around the school start times and survey study as well as providing input (about) curriculum changes happening in math and world language curriculum,” Mahoney said.

One of the pieces I shared with them is that their voice is so critical in (school start and end times) because it directly impacts students on a daily basis so that was one of the topics and we also talked about curriculum and the students curriculum review process”

— Superintendent Astein Osei

According to Osei, the district uses Student Leadership Advisory Council (SLAC) meetings, such as the one Jan. 16, to engage with students as any district-wide changes will directly affect Park students.

“One of the pieces I shared with them is that their voice is so critical in (school start and end times) because it directly impacts students on a daily basis so that was one of the topics and we also talked about curriculum and the students curriculum review process,” Osei said. “I think we have to keep students informed about the things that are happening.”

SLAC member junior Jordyn Turek said SLAC meets multiple times throughout the year and focuses on a variety of topics that affect the school district.

“We talk about changes that are being made in the school, and it’s really to get a viewpoint or some feedback from students since it’s about us,” Turek said.

According to Osei, the group has had input on past events such as last year’s referendum.

“Last year we spent a lot of time with (SLAC) around the referendum making sure that they understood what was happening there (and) making sure that they had a really clear understanding of what was being requested from the bond referendum facility standpoint and getting some of their feedback around,” Osei said. “They were really helpful.”

Turek said most were picked to join SLAC when they were in fifth grade, and she personally supports the group as it allows students the opportunity to give input on big decisions in Park.

“They picked us and we have been in it since fifth grade and you do it until you graduate,” Turek said. “I really like the idea of having student voice heard when it comes to making changes about our school just because we are the students that go here.”

Osei said while the current process does not involve students speaking directly with teachers about curriculum development, he encourages that goal.

“This past December we had a professional development day here at the high school for all teachers and actually students were involved in some of the designing of the professional development and some students went to teachers’ different breakout sessions and participated,” Osei said. “I would love to get to the point where students are helping us design a professional development and engaging in that professional development on staff.”

Yonit Krebs, Managing Editor

Yo it’s pretty neat that I’m a managing editor this year! One of my favorite activities is to eat Wacky Mac on a porch on Friday afternoons. My favorite...

Gabriel Kaplan, Opinions Editor

Hi! My name is Gabe Kaplan, I’m a sophomore this year and a new staff writer for the Echo. I couldn’t be more excited for the year! Outside of writing...

Maria Perez Barriga, Writer

Hey! My name is Maria and I am a sophomore. I like to play soccer and binge watch tv shows and movies on Netflix. I like to hang out with friends and be...