Class of ‘24 ready to leave their mark

Administration finds alternative wall for senior painting
Tyler Eoff
Magic: Seniors Sophia Laux, Greta Gabel and Lilia Meyer make plans to paint a wall Oct. 25. Park seniors initially weren’t allowed to paint the traditional senior wall, but compromised on the temporary wall.

After originally being told that they wouldn’t be able to, Parks senior class recently found out that they would be able to carry on the tradition of painting the wall. In years past, the seniors have come together and painted a wall outside to express themselves. Construction has prohibited the class from painting the wall that previous classes had painted, but administration was able to find an alternative wall for this year.

According to assistant principal Alyssa Gardner, administration found a safe and easily accessible temporary wall that the seniors can paint until the original wall is available in the future.

“We sat with our facilities to really think through what is safe and accessible for all of the students,” Gardner said. “There’s a temporary construction wall that we’re able to allow that to be painted until the former wall is available”

Senior Alicia Margalli said many seniors were worried they wouldn’t be able to paint the wall even before the construction, and she was relieved to hear that they had found an alternative. 

“I feel relieved because last year they said that we weren’t going to be able to paint the wall,” Margalli said. “It feels good to carry on the tradition.”

Senior Alex Hokenson said being able to do this brings the seniors together to create something great, and that painting the wall has a big effect on the bonding between the seniors.

“It brings our creative minds together,” Hokenson said. “We can work together to create a beautiful piece of artwork.”

Margalli said being able to do this creates a bond. She said when they all come together like this, they get closer as a class.

“Having all of us in the same place can help with bonding,” Margalli said. “It brings us together as a community.”

Gardner said traditions like this in Park’s community allow the seniors to come together and express themselves in a positive way.

“We’re a really tight knit community with a lot of traditions. Traditions like these allow students to come together and show their identity in a positive way,” Gardner said. “It’s a really beautiful way for the seniors to be able to present who they are and bond in the process.”

As far as what will be painted on the wall, the Class of 2024 wants to reference Bruno Mars and paint a 24K gold theme. Hokenson said they are thinking of painting “24K” in gold and going from there.

“When we paint, we’re going for a Bruno Mars theme,” Hokenson said. “It’s going to say 24K in big, gold letters.”