The rise of Zyn

Zyn usage is affecting school

Most people have heard about the highly popular nicotine product called Zyn. Zyns are small nicotine pouches that are supposed to be used to quit vaping, but instead are being used as another source of nicotine addiction. They recently blew up on social media and are now starting to make their way into the school building.

Health teacher Kayla Ross said teens are addicted to Zyn because of the high levels of nicotine. 

“Nicotine is highly addictive,” Ross said. “It’s one of the most widely addictive drugs outside of caffeine itself and the issue with nicotine is that it is harmful. Once you start using nicotine, whether it’s inhaled or put in a pouch, it’s very difficult to stop.”

According to sophomore Sydney McGary-Walters, Zyn can be very distracting to student’s learning.

“It’s distracting students and keeping them from staying focused,” McGary-Walters said. “I’ve heard the side effects can be really bad and make you feel really ill and that’s obviously just a distraction for learning.”

Junior Malik Martin said that Zyn can hinder students focus

“From what I’ve heard they get you buzzed, and students who use Zyn like that feeling,” Martin said. “It’s stopping them from getting actual work done and it affects the way they focus in class.”

McGary-Walters said she thinks that Zyn is starting to become a problem in school.

“I do think they are a problem in our school,” Mcgary-Walters said. “I have heard of them being used around our school and they are starting to become very common.”

Martin said he doesn’t really know much about what Zyn does.

“I’ve heard a little bit about them and I don’t really know much about them,” Martin said. “I do know they are not healthy and strongly addicting.”

Ross said she believes the best way the school can stop this is to educate and spread awareness on Zyn and related products.

“I think education on it (will help) for sure. For me, I’m not going to just teach about vaping and cigarettes anymore. I’m definitely going to include things like Zyns because of how commonly used they are,” Ross said. “When kids are aware of resources to help quit these types of things and we stop punishing people for addiction and we start educating, I think that’s what we’ll see a change.”

View Comments (2)