Standing behind my beliefs

After waiting impatiently for what seemed like hours, an older gentleman dressed in his Navy Dress Blues finally called my name. I slowly got up, nervously walking into my interview for a nomination to the U.S. Naval Academy.
I shook his hand firmly and made eye contact like I had practiced. He brought me back to a smaller office with another gentleman also dressed in Navy attire. I quickly made my way to the chair so as not to faint from nerves and the interrogation began.
About 20 minutes into the interview, they asked me the one question I dreaded most; why did I include I am conservative in my information packet when I knew I was applying for nominations from Democrats? Every candidate has the opportunity to meet their senators and their congressman. In my case I applied to U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar, U.S. Sen. Al Franken and U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison who all happen to be Democrats.
I took a long pause before answering, debating whether to tell them the full truth, or the politically correct half-truth I had prepared.
I remembered the Honor Code the Naval Academy so strictly abides to, “A Midshipman will not lie, cheat or steal.”
In a less than confident voice, I started explaining to them I wanted to be upfront about who I am and what are my values. As my explanation continued, I became more and more passionate about my answer.
The two men looked at each other as if the girl who looked like she might get sick from nerves impressed them.
I left the interview confident in my answers, but worried that I might have overshared.
Despite my apprehension, two out of the three nomination sources I applied to nominated me. Both Franken and Ellison nominated me to the Naval Academy. Though this is not an appointment, it is a step in the right direction.
Getting into the college or university of your choice is not an easy task. The application process is competitive, and it can be easy to cross moral lines to get the coveted spot. The true test of getting what we want is if we can maintain our morals in the process.
Students in uncomfortable situations like an interview or just meeting new people can often go against what they believe in order to fit in, or not to offend anyone.
However, being dishonest with others and yourself is a greater issue than just feeling like an outsider.