Minnesota leads the nation in voter turnout

Early voting increases attendance at polls

Talia Lissauer

Over 2.6 million Minnesotans went to the polls on Nov. 6 to help  Minnesota have the highest voter turnout in the nation by taking time out of their extremely busy lives to vote in this year’s midterm election, according to MPR.

As someone who is too young to vote, it is shocking to me that someone who is not only eligible to vote, but has easy access to it, chooses not to. I am so proud to call the state of Minnesota my home because out of all 50 states, Minnesotans are most aware of how important voting is.

According to the Pew Research Center, the most common reason eligible voters don’t vote is that they have come to the irrational conclusion that their vote doesn’t matter. Since Minnesota has gone blue in every election since 1976, it is easy to believe that one Republican or smaller party vote wouldn’t make a difference. It is insane to think that because there are so many people voting every vote matters, but it truly does. If everyone believed that their vote did not matter, then there would be no democracy, which would be disastrous.

Minnesota is one only 37 states that allow for early voting.Early voting is key to voter turnout. It is no secret that there are people who are out of town or can’t make it to the polls on election day. The people who vote early want to have their voice heard even though they can’t do it on election day. It helps to make sure there truly is no reason to not vote if you are able to.

It doesn’t take long to vote, and according to The Star Tribune, Minnesota is one of many states that gives all eligible voters the amazing chance to participate in the democracy by requiring every employer to give the necessary amount of time to let a person vote during the work day. Voting is one of the most important things you can do in your adult life.

There are many reasons that voter turnout was so high in Minnesota. This includes realizing everyone’s voice matters and having candidates in their state that they support. The most important thing is to vote, and no matter the place you are at on election day, there is almost always a way to vote, whether it’s via mail or in person. Voting is one of the most crucial things a person can do. Not everyone has the right to vote, so take advantage of it.

Talia Lissauer, Special Projects & Profiles Editor

Hey everyone my name is Talia Lissauer, I’m a sophmore and this is my first year on Echo. I play soccer all year long and in the winter I downhill ski...