Parking frenzy in the student lot

Construction sets limitations on parking lot access

As everyone knows, Park has had a lot of construction work done over the summer. It’s great that we have a remodeled school, but due to construction, access to the student lot has become a daily struggle for most. Everyday it’s a race to be the first in and first out of the lot.

Complaints about how difficult it is to navigate the student parking lot began during the first week of school . With more and more students driving themselves to school, should they have to worry about finding a space to park? It’s tiresome having to park in the surrounding area of the high school because you can’t find a good spot to park for the day. There is also a risk that you could get a ticket or citation due to parking in the wrong spot because you couldn’t get into the student lot. At the end of a long day of school and practice, all I want to do is get home as quickly as I can, but then remember that I have to walk a block or two to the car. During the winter this will be even worse when it’s below freezing temperatures.There are only a few ways to enter and exit the lot, which creates a lot of slow moving traffic at the end of the day. With most seniors, juniors and even some sophomores being able to drive, we should have a better way to go about the congested parking lot, especially since students are paying $100 dollars for passes to park in the student lot. It’s unfair to have to pay this fee and then struggle in the end of day traffic while trying to get home.

However, could the hassle of navigating the student lot be warranted? In the bigger scheme of things we are getting a remodeled school as well as a whole new track and practice field. Hopefully the construction will only last through the winter so parking is more manageable for the rest of the year. However, even if you don’t find a spot in the student lot you can still park in the surrounding area. If the parking lot really drives you crazy you could always find an alternative like carpooling. Only one person would need to bring their car, and it would be much easier to find one spot compared to two.

Overall, I think that there should be a better way to go about the construction in the student parking lot. As of now, there is just too much chaos in the student lot, and the main thing you can do if you’re worried about a spot is show up to school just a little bit earlier.