March amplifies voices

Grace Farley

Senior Martha Walton reacts to speeches against gun violence at Firehouse 1. Students left class at 10 a.m. to participate in the walkout, March 14.

In light of the recent Parkland shooting, activism surrounding gun violence is on the rise with students at the forefront. Because of this, the voices of teenagers are more important than ever.

The recent walkout, organized by students, stands as an excellent example of the power of student action present within the St. Louis Park community.

Student leaders expanded on the plans of the national walkout, which entailed leaving school for 17 minutes, in memory of those lost at Parkland.

Park’s walkout leaders planned stations for students to register to vote and contact their representatives, and provided information about how to become more involved. They also worked closely with administration and the city in order to ensure participants were safe.

Students should look to these leaders as an example of how to exercise their First Amendment rights. Student leaders such as those organizing the walkout, as well as those who participated, show true examples of the impact of the student voice.

Park administration abided by its attendance policy marking students who participated as unexcused. By not imposing additional punishments on students participating in the walkout, administration allowed students to fully exercise their First Amendment rights, a practice that should stand as an example for other schools.

Similarly, by working with the city to plan for buses and making an announcement during school providing details of how to participate safely, Park empowered the student voice, while remaining impartial.

While Echo cannot encourage protest during school hours, we fully support students peacefully voicing their opinions. We urge students to get involved in movements they feel passionate about.

If students want to exercise their rights in peaceful assembly, the “March for Our Lives” will take place 10 a.m. March 24 at the Minnesota State Capitol. More information regarding March for Our Lives can be found on its website.