Staff Editorial: Black History Month goes unrecognized

Lack of representation frustrates many
TJ Brayboy
Black history banner draped high in the C3 hallway. Feb 21 this is one of the only representations of Black History Month at Park.

As the end of February approaches, so does the close of Black History Month. Black History Month is represented throughout the month of February, and is recognized nationwide.This month is dedicated to recognizing the black community and acknowledging hardships and racial injustices they have overcome. Here at Park, Black History Month is barely talked about. The Echo Editorial Board believes Park should be doing a far better job at acknowledging the month and doing things to celebrate it.
The Echo Editorial Board believes that with such a diverse school, there should be more of an incentive to do something this month. Most of the board hadn’t had any teachers mention Black History Month. Some acknowledged a few specific teachers who took note of the month, but the board believes that at least acknowledging it in class should be required. By not acknowledging the month, it goes unnoticed and is deemed unimportant.
The one thing that the Echo Editorial Board pointed out was a banner (Pictured to the right) that was hung up by one of the few black teachers in one of the main hallways. This banner reminded many of the month, but also showed that nothing was being done. Besides that banner, the school didn’t do anything else to point out the importance of Black History Month. While some things are done behind the scenes, it is hard to always remember that. The Board acknowledged that surely more things are being done, smaller things, potential plans for the future. But without evidence of this, it is difficult to believe that the school actually cares about this month.Members of the board who are upperclassmen reflected on previous Black History Months at Park, noticing that typically, nothing is really done. Maybe a few posters, or maybe a slight mention of it in a class, but nothing noticeable or memorable, which is upsetting. In other places around the Twin Cities, this month is highly honored. At the Minnesota Institute of Art, there is a gallery dedicated to black history. Obviously an art museum is capable of doing something bigger, but the board agreed that it is important to take inspiration from the things around us.
Members of the board noted that individual student led clubs have been attempting to recognize this month. One club that has been making efforts is ACT (Achieving Change Together), a club run by two juniors. The club focuses on tackling difficult topics and working to make progress on these subjects. This month, the club came together to make posters to remind students of black History Month and put them up around the school. The board agreed that clubs such as these positively impact students and help spread awareness about important months such as these. Although, it is disappointing that it is up to the students when it should be the school’s responsibility.
The Echo Editorial Board unanimously believes better recognition of Black History Month and more conversations recognizing it in class would benefit all students at the school, which should be the bare minimum.