Team finishes tournament strong despite setbacks

Individual injuries put team at disadvantage

Junior+Maranda+Hoogenraad+throws+the+ball+back+to+the+pitcher+May+12.+The+Orioles+beat+Southwest+10-7.+
Junior Maranda Hoogenraad throws the ball back to the pitcher May 12. The Orioles beat Southwest 10-7.

Emma Kempf

Emma Kempf

Abby Intveld and Emma Kempf

Tensions were high at the top of the sixth inning in the third game of the day, until junior Maddie Schmitz hit a home run for the Orioles.

“It was exhilarating,” Schmitz said. “It brought everyone’s spirit up to finally push and finish the game.”

Park beat Southwest May 12 with a score of 10-7 on May 12, according to MN Softball Hub. Earlier in the day the Orioles beat Barnum 6-0 and lost to Jordan 1-11. The team’s record is now 8-9.

According to coach Bobby Crumpton, the tournament was a challenge because the team had a lot of missing players, some due to injuries.

“We had to bring up three junior varsity players to help us get through the day,” Crumpton said. “We went through our bench plus three JV players, and by the last game of the day we only had 8 players. It’s really tough.”

Schmitz said the tournament had a surprising outcome with two wins and one loss.

“Seeing that half of our varsity players could not make it along with injured girls playing on the field, it was a struggle to say the least,” Schmitz said. “It just sucks, you’re playing back to back games, you’re constantly pushing yourself to the limit.”

Schmitz said it’s stressful and nervewracking to see many players she’s been playing with since she was little getting injured.

“It’s emotional, to say the least, seeing other girls cry,” Schmitz said. “It makes you want to cry and it just freaks everyone out.”

Crumpton said the tournament went as expected because of all the missing players.

“Before the end of the season I hope my players understand commitment,” Crumpton said. “That’s their big word — commitment.”

The team’s next three games will be at 4:30 on May 14, May 15 and May 16, all at Aquila Park against Robbinsdale Cooper, Academy of Holy Angels and Benilde.

SaveSave