Girls Lacrosse takes 17-1 loss

Team hopeful for rest of the season


Cole Taylor

Eighth grader Riley Ridgway scans the net as she prepares to shoot during the first half of the game April 21. Girls’ lacrosse lost 17-1 in its first game of the season.

After a 17-1 loss to Benilde St. Margaret’s, girls’ lacrosse coach Kate Pearson said she is happy despite the loss and is hopeful for the future of the team.

“This was our first game of the season. We have a really young team and we were playing the hardest team right off the bat,” Pearson said. “We did a really good job of putting the skills that we’ve been learning over the last few weeks into a game and kind of learning how to work as a team.”

Senior captain Emelia Johnson said that comparing the team’s performance against Benilde, last year with this year she thinks they played a more competitive game.

“Last year, we got pretty much railed by BSM (Benilde). This year, we stood our ground, we caused many turnovers and it was a great starting point,” Johnson said.

Even with the loss, Pearson said the players stayed energized and focused throughout the game.

“Our morale stayed up throughout the whole game, even though the score didn’t reflect what we would want it to. We came together at the end as a team and really worked hard on what we’ve been working on,” Pearson said.

Sophomore Meg Ridgeway said she looks forward to the rest of the season, but thinks there is still work to do.

“I’m just looking forward to seeing our progress from the beginning of the year to the end of the year. I think there’s a lot of potential and a lot of progress to be made,” Ridgeway said.

Looking back on the loss, Pearson believes the players need to connect with each other more and keep on attacking the goal.

“We still have some work to do on working together in the midfield and kind of connecting passes to be able to get it down on attack and keep it on attack. But we know what we need to work on and we are pushing for that and looking forward to the next game,” Pearson said.

Thinking about the weather conditions lately, Pearson said the girls have been really strong with the late weather conditions in the last month.

“The girls Lacrosse (team) has toughed out and we’ve been out in the snow, rain and wind. We’ve only been inside for about an hour out of all of that ,and every other day we’ve been outside, so the girls are really tough,” Pearson said.

The next game for girls lacrosse is 6 p.m. April 26 at St. Louis Park High School stadium.