A-list athlete

Who: Sophia Noreen, sophomore

Sport: Girls’ lacrosse

When did you start playing
lacrosse and why?
I started playing in eighth grade because I saw my friends were having a lot of fun, and I wanted to try it and spend time with them.

What is your favorite part of being on the team?
It’s nice to get in shape in the spring, but also to meet up with the team again, because they’re so nice. It also feels really good to switch from (varsity) hockey, which I play in the winter.

How is the relationship between the older and younger players on the lacrosse team?
Something that’s different about our team is we think of ourselves as a family. In that way, the team dynamic is really good. Everyone is very accepting, especially the seniors, who just want the best for everyone.

What is your favorite position to play?
The position I play is center. It’s a lot of running and takes a lot of endurance, since you are always covering the ball. Playing this position makes me feel good about myself because I know I’m fit enough that I’m able to keep up with the rest of my team.

Who do you look up to?
I don’t really follow any professional or college teams, but within the team, junior Lauren Brunn-Bryant is so good, so incredible and has so much determination. She is always there at practice getting better.

Do you have any interest in playing lacrosse in college?
Yes, I’ve been thinking about it. I’m not sure which sport I want to pursue, since I do hockey and lacrosse, but I also do sailing, and I’m playing tennis this year. The schools I apply to will help decide which sports I’m able to do.

How do you balance homework with athletic events?
Sometimes it’s hard, especially if all my teachers assign homework on the same night, but obviously school takes precedence, and I know school work needs to get done first. Our coaches are really understanding as well, and will let us leave early or miss a practice if we need to study for a test.

What is your favorite lacrosse memory?
Every year in the spring, we do a mud fight. We bring out buckets filled with water and pour it in the practice field and we all get completely dirty, and it is so fun.

How have you improved as an athlete and as a person while playing lacrosse?
As an athlete, lacrosse really kicks you into shape with “trials,” which are really hard. As a person, it helps with time-management a lot, because practices are right after school for two hours, so it really keeps me on a schedule. Also, lacrosse isn’t an individual sport, you have to rely on everyone else. It really shows the importance of friendship and a sense of team.