Q&A with Athena Award Winner, Kathryn Ostrom

Senior Kathryn Ostrom has been awarded with the 2013 Athena Award. This award is given to the outstanding female athlete at Park and is based on excellence in individual sport, or for participation and accomplishments in team sports. She has lettered eight times in Park girls’ swimming. She has earned eight All Conference awards and four All State honors. She has 2 state championships in the 100m Breaststroke, multiple pool records and is an All American consideration. She will be continuing her swimming at Wilmington University, in North Carolina.

When and how did you find out about the award?

It was during my 5th hour class. Mrs. Wavrunek told me to go to the  athletic office and they told me congratulations for winning the award. I was very excited.

How does it feel to receive this honor?

It’s really nice to know I was awarded and appreciated for my all my accomplishments at Park.

Were you surprised to win the awards?

I knew Lauren Miller and a bunch of other girls going for it and were candidates. They all are very good athletes, so I didn’t really expect it.

How does it feel to be an All American consideration?

I like that title very much. I missed the All American automatic time by .2 or something like that. I’ll find out in a year if I am an All American Athlete.

Do you feel accomplished looking back on your four years of swimming for Park?

Yeah, It feels great. I met all my accomplishments and more.

How do you hope to leave your mark at Park? Through the award?

Yeah, I’ll leave me mark at Park through the award. It’s a perfect way to end my last year as a senior at Park.

Are you looking forward to continue swimming for Wilmington?

Yes, I’m very excited. The team an perfect match for me and I hope to get better through the years.