Meet the Athlete: Mason Helfmann

How long have you been playing football?

I’ve been playing football since third grade.

Who inspired you to play football and why?

My dad and my brother inspired me to play football because they both played football in high school and in college.

How do you get motivated before every game?

I’m motivated by knowing that we only have eight games the whole year, so I have to make each and every one count.

What is one of your favorite football memories?

When I was younger I got to go to the Gophers game and carry the American flag during the national anthem, which was pretty cool.

What is something you are proud of in your football career and why?

When I scored four touchdowns in one game. Something like that doesn’t happen often and it was a great performance.

What are your goals for this season?

To finish the season out on a high note and get better as a player and have the team improve together.

What is your biggest strength and why?

I play running back which is a position where you need to be tough and be able to get hit hard and get right back up, so I would say my biggest strength is toughness.

What is your biggest weakness and why?

I would say my vision because you need a lot of vision to see where your blocks are and find the right gaps and see where opponents are waiting to tackle you and find the best path to the end zone.

What is something you think you can improve on and why?

I can improve on being more of a vocal leader because it’s important to speak up when teammates aren’t doing the right thing either on or off the field.