Recent events make participation hypocritical

Assassins devalues student voice

Across the have made their voices heard on the topic of gun violence, whether it be in the form of rallies, walkouts or written post-cards.

Park is not excluded from this activism, with approximately 500 students participating in the #Enough walkout March 14.

With assassins starting up, this context cannot be ignored.

It makes a game out of gun violence, the exact issue many walked out of the school in at- tempts to combat.

While assassins has always perpetuated gun violence, students participating this year must be held responsible more than ever for the message the game sends.

Participation in a game such

as assassins not only passively normalizes violence with guns, but also undercuts the entire student-led movement against gun violence.

Taking part in a game with

gun violence sends mixed sig- nals. Students can no longer hide under the idea of ‘don’t hate the player, hate the game’ because we have demanded to be heard and, in do- ing so, need to show that we mean what we say.

We cannot demand to be heard and taken seriously by the leaders of our nation if we do not take a stand on the issue in every way possible.

We can no longer make the argument that assassins is a ‘fun tradition’ at Park because participation not only promotes gun violence as a game but diminishes the voice students have worked so hard to achieve. It’s time for the tradition to change.