Student club recieves county funding

Grant to assist in environmental projects

Gathered in a tight circle of folding chairs, the members of the Roots and Shoots environmental group met to discuss the progress of their newest initiative.

The club, co-led by seniors Lani Abelson and Anders Conroy will focus its energy on revamping the paper and organic waste recycling program at the high school with funds provided by the School Recycling Assistance Program grant.
The grant was issued by Hennepin County in an effort to boost the recycling capabilities of the high school.
Conroy, who participated in Roots and Shoots last year said while he is hesitant about the plan to improve the recycling program, he hopes new measures will inspire students to participate.
“People at school are just really reluctant to be told what to do, even if it’s a simple task like sorting out paper from trash,” he said. “Everyone needs to get excited and show that they want to help the environment.”
Like Conroy, Roots and Shoots adviser Jeremy Riehle said he has faith that the initiative will succeed with sufficient student direction.
“What we need is to have students motivating each other to recycle and compost,” he said. “It’s difficult but doable.”