Legislative feud digs into deeper problem

Light rail derails Minnesota Congress, causing an end-of-session deadlock.

The inability of the legislature to pass the transportation bill or a $1 billion bonding bill is a small part of a bigger frustration.

The agreement includes $100 million for roads and bridges and $100 million for affordable housing, the largest housing investment in state history, according to the Star Tribune. The measure includes $126 million to finish the State Capitol renovation and $240 million for new and renovated buildings at the University of Minnesota and the MnSCU system.

The ideological differences between a Democratic Senate and a Republican House affects the community of St. Louis Park and Minnesota overall. While legislators say they are working to make a more sustainable community, there has been no change.

Recently, because of differing ideas on how much money should be spent by the government, lawmakers were unable to pass a bill that could make the Twin Cities a more environmentally, economically stable place.

Many Democrats are frustrated with the Republicans’ unwillingness to allocate money to the project. This creates a divide.

The legislation’s disagreement has halted the progress of not only the Southwest Light Rail Transit, but the progress of building more sustainable infrastructure to ensure safety among all people of Minnesota.

The inability to problem-solve between both parties directly affects the St. Louis Park community. If the state is unable to come up with funds for the state infrastructure, many important projects associated with the bill will never become reality.

Legislators must hear the voices of St. Louis Park and other cities across the state loud and clear. It is the responsibility of elected officials to be receptive to the changing demands of the people who put them in office.

Community involvement benefits the legislative process, ensuring everyone’s voices are heard. Calling legislators or attending listening sessions is a good way to get involved.

It is important that the legislature finds a solution and takes action, not only for Congress, but for the community of St. Louis Park.