Walker art center to host annual Teen Takeover night

Museum creates space for self-expression

The Walker Art Center will be hosting their 10th annual Teen Takeover night, allowing high school students to express themselves through different art mediums.

Amber Tran

Amber Tran

Amber Tran

Grace Farley

Art Teacher Martha Ortman said art is a huge aspect in teaching people how to think and to utilize information they are given.

“You can have all the knowledge in the world but if you’re not creative you don’t know what to do with it,” Ortman Said

The Walker Art Center plans to host Teen Takeover in late April, a night for Minnesota teens to express and define themselves.

Teen Programs Coordinator for the Walker Art Center Mischa Kegan said Teen Takeover is a night for high school teens to express themselves in a variety of forms.

“The purpose of Teen Takeover is to hold space with and for people in high school to showcase the ideas of the Walker Art Center Teen Arts Council (WACTAC),and to activate the space in interesting and different ways.” Kegan said. “There will be many opportunities for self-expression and connection.”

Sophomore Emma Meents said she attended last year’s Teen Takeover, and urged Park students to attend.

“It was really fun I 10/10 would recommend that everybody definitely go,” Meents said. “It’s really fun and very much worth it.”

Kegan said that there will be many teens from all over the Twin Cities attending.

There will be a lot of people from all over Minneapolis and St. Paul – anywhere from 800 to 1200 people!” Kegan said. “It is a great event to meet people.”

Meents said that attending Teen Takeover last year introduced her to many new people from different backgrounds.

“You could tell that a lot of people there were very diverse in family incomes, race, ethnicity and sexual orientation coming together.” Meents said. “The people I met at Teen Takeover I am still friends with and we hang out quite often.”

Kegan said there are different activities taking place this year, from interactive to purely observational.

“This year there is art-making with artists Anna Min and Jonathan Herrera, special performances by WACTAC, Kulture Klub Collaborative, Sarah White, Micamay and MMYYKK,” Kegan said.

Meents said she would consider attending Teen Takeover again because of the different and engaging activities for students.

“I played with clay, and moved around alot. It was cool to see all of the galleries and we got to go up to a room and just hang out in a ball pit.” Meents said, “I would for sure go again.”

For students interested in attending, the Teen Takeover will take place from 5 p.m.-9 p.m. April 27 at the Walker Art Center, and offers free admission to all students.

Grace Farley, Managing Editor

Hey, what’s up nerds! I’m Grace Farley and I’m a senior and a managing editor for the lovely Echo. I’m a Starbucks barista so you can almost always...