‘Wonka’ meets the world

A new family classic hits theaters
Fair use from Warner Bros. Pictures

The highly anticipated family movie “Wonka” hit theaters Dec. 15, and has been met with huge success. “Wonka” is the backstory to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” (2005) and “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,” (1971) and it adds a new perspective to the iconic character. 

The movie follows Willy Wonka (Timothée Chalamet), a poor, young man with a “hatful of dreams.” He dreams of selling chocolate, but not just any chocolate. His chocolates can make you fly, get drunk or grow your confidence. Willy Wonka travels to the Galleries Gourmet, a top notch, chocolate-selling collection of shops and a place he hopes to eventually own a store. 

However, things don’t quite go as planned for young Willy Wonka. He finds himself without any money and winds up staying at a sketchy hotel. There, he encounters lots of competition, along with some nasty shop owners who will try anything to stop him from opening his chocolate shop, but he also meets Noodle (Calah Lane), a young orphan set on helping him reach his dream. Together, they experience the ups and downs of turning dreams into reality. 

Something about “Wonka” that surprised me was that it was a musical. I didn’t expect that, but it added to the playful environment of Willy Wonka’s world. The songs were catchy and were performed well by the actors. The songs helped the movie move along smoothly, and could really add to the emotions of each scene. After doing a bit of research, I learned that certain songs from “Wonka,” such as “Oompa Loompa” and “Pure Imagination,” had also been in the 1971 film, “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.” The combination of old, familiar songs mixed in with brand new songs gave the film a nostalgic, yet unique feeling. 

Although I have seen the original Willy Wonka movies, it’s been a while, so I didn’t really know what to anticipate. However, “Wonka” turned out to be a fun and lighthearted family movie. I really enjoyed it and was impressed by the overall production of the film. The set designs were incredible, especially Willy Wonka’s chocolate store. The film felt truly magical.

I think the casting was perfect, especially the actor of Willy Wonka. Timothée Chalamet took on the role of Wonka and proved his versatility as an actor. He helped Willy Wonka come to life, along with the help of the rest of the supporting actors. All together, the cast worked really well and provided an entertaining movie with captivating characters. 

Although “Wonka” was definitely a cheerful film, it also included emotional elements that could cause one to become teary eyed. Some themes of the movie included chasing your dreams, finding friends in unlikely places and persistence despite setbacks you may encounter.

I don’t really have any major critiques, it was well done and provided an interesting insight into a famous and lovable character’s backstory.

Overall, “Wonka” was a very fun family movie with dynamic characters, wonderful actors and just a great overall storyline. I honestly enjoyed every minute of it, and would recommend it to anyone considering seeing it. It was a nice escape from the stress of school, sports and everyday life, and was just one of those movies that could make you happy.

“Wonka”: ★★★★★