Snow many winter ideas

Activities to do over winter break

As 2023 comes to an end and we make our way through winter break, you might have tons of time on your hands. Especially with the lack of snow, you might not know what to do with the time. Luckily in Park and beyond, there are numerous activities, both warm and cold, to keep you occupied over the 11 day break. 

If you look to the cool, brisk outdoors then there are many activities to fill your days. If you’re looking to stay local, there are many different activities to make the break memorable and full of excitement. Despite the lack of snow on the ground, ice skating is still an option. You can stop by the ROC (Recreation Outdoor Center) and rent a pair of skates to use on their outdoor ice rink. 

If you want to continue your outdoor fun, you could check out the light display at Oak Hill Park. The park has a fun playground with many surrounding trees. The trees are filled with colorful lights that bring joy to all that walk through it. If you don’t care for holiday lights, you can always take a walk around the chain of lakes. Whether you choose Lake Harriet, Bde Maka Ska, Cedar Lake, Lake of the Isles or all of them, they each hold beautiful views with paths filled with others also enjoying the great outdoors. 

If you’re looking for something memorable to do with your family on New Year’s Eve, there is a candle lit outdoor walk that I do with my family every year. It consists of a one mile candlelit loop that brings you back to a building that has a blazing, crackling fire with marshmallows to roast and warm hot chocolate. It opens at 5 p.m. and closes by 9 p.m.. You have to pay a small fee of six dollars for admittance and pay in advance of the event. You can find more information on the winter candlelight walk here.

If the weather is not permitting for the outdoors, or you simply want to stay indoors, there are plenty of things you can do in the comfort of your home or out and about. You have all this time to experiment with new things, so you could attempt a new recipe that you’ve wanted to try for a while. Grab some flour and eggs to make some homemade pasta or bread. 

If you’re not one for the kitchen, there are many blockbuster movies being released this holiday season such as “Wonka” or “Anyone But You.” You could hit the Icon Theaters in the West End with a bucket of popcorn and see your favorite actors on the big screen. If you are feeling tired after a long movie, you could stop by Angel Food Bakery and get a holiday drink or donut to wake you up. They have delicious donuts shaped as holiday wreaths and candy canes. If you are leaning towards a drink, they have many holiday drinks that consist of Classic Jo and Casual Friday. They both contain hints of chocolate which is guaranteed happiness in a cup. These decadent, toasty drinks will warm your fingers will some holiday cheer.

This year more than others, I’ve noticed that people have stepped up their holiday lights that display across their houses. If you enjoy holiday lights just as much as me, you’ve likely driven around admiring all the different lights that are proudly displayed. The best local lights that I’ve noticed are around the intersection of 44th and 50th street on Browndale Ave, but if you are okay with making a bit of a longer drive, the best lights I’ve seen in my life are on Summit Ave in St. Paul. If you live on Summit, it is non-negotiable that you put up the best light display you can. Every house is decked out with colorful, twinkling lights wrapped around the trees and bushes with festive decorations lining the sidewalk. If you would rather walk around to see holiday lights, then the Arboretum is the place for you. It is a mile walk filled with beautiful lights and stunning views. To learn more about the Arboretum click here

With many options to fill your days over the break, hopefully it’s filled with excitement and lots of happy memories. The holiday lights and quality time with friends and family always make winter break unforgettable.