Future & Metro make it boom

‘WE DON’T TRUST YOU’ makes an impact on the rap community
Fair use from Republic Records
Fair use from Republic Records

Somehow still in his prime, Future continues to release quality music in his new collaboration album with Metro Boomin, yet it isn’t his best work with some weak spots in the album. “WE DON’T TRUST YOU” adds to Future’s unbelievable discography as his 32nd album and Metro Boomin adds to his with it being his tenth album. Both artists have a storied history together, working on a whopping 70+ songs together. Their newest collaboration has a listening time of exactly one hour, filled with the duo’s classic producer tag “If Young Metro don’t trust you, I’m gon’ shoot you.”

The album starts off simple and mellow with the namesake of the album, “We Don’t Trust You.” The song starts with a simple mantra by Future, “Fake written all over you, Hate written all over you.” A simple 808 beat is put over the lyrics making it feel like a story or lesson that he is trying to teach the audience that coordinates with the theme of the album: false trust. The chorus of the song solidifies the theme of not trusting in others, “Smiling faces, Sometimes pretend to be your friend.” Many people (including myself) believe that these lyrics are a diss to fellow rapper Drake, and this becomes much more clear later in the album.

The pace of the album picks up while featuring a different artist in the song, “Young Metro.” The Weeknd’s melodic chorus and background vocals really pick up the song. Once again, Metro’s classic 808 beats boost Future’s deep and rich flow with heavy bass and his extraterrestrial sound bytes. The Weeknd’s chorus, “All alone, say you want me” continues the idea of fake trust and only looking out for those closest to you. This is even further backed up by Future’s lines, “My real day ones, they ready catch felonies” showing that he knows who he can trust, which definitely includes Metro and The Weeknd.

Future and Metro really stir the pot on the gem of the album, “Like That feat. Kendrick Lamar.” “Like That” is by far the best and my favorite song on the album. The G.O.A.T. (Greatest of All Time) of rap conversation has become front and center with the release of this song. Future has stated that he is still in his prime even at 40 years old and that he can keep up with the new generation of rappers. Future and Metro also add another rapper in contention for G.O.A.T. status with Kendrick Lamar. The aggressive synthwave used by Metro really places the song in my top 10 of the year so far. Even more than just being a song, “Like That” takes heavy shots at other prominent rappers like Drake and J. Cole. Drake has considered himself, J. Cole and Kendrick as the “Big 3 of Rap.” However, Kendrick’s verses say otherwise, “Motherf*** the big three, n****, it’s just big me.” To go even further, Kendrick takes shots at Drake’s most recent album “For All The Dogs” for not including him, Future or Metro on the album. “Fore all your dogs gettin’ buried, That’s a K with all these nines, he gon’ see Pet Sematary.” These lyrics take a direct shot at Drake and the other artists on “For All The Dogs.” Honestly, this makes me like the song even more because everyone likes a little bit of drama between rappers.

The album becomes somewhat redundant after “Like That.” Future may still be in his prime but the album falls off a little, in the case of many artists who have been around a long time.The album itself isn’t bad but it’s nothing very special. Songs such as “Fried” and “Seen it All’ are good listens the first time through, but after that the later half of the album just kind of meshes together and the songs aren’t very distinguishable. I was a little disappointed because the album had a lot of hype around it and the combo of Future and Metro Boomin always produces something great. It wouldn’t hurt for Future to start expanding his music a little more like he did with his previous album, “I NEVER LIKED YOU.” He has been doing the same things for 10+ years and as he continues his career I want to see what else he is capable of.

Overall, I thought “WE DON’T TRUST YOU” was a good album — not great but not bad by any means. The album is great for casual background music while driving or doing homework if you are someone who listens to rap. Future is definitely still proving he has a lot left in the tank when it comes to his career and Metro continues to certify himself as the top beat maker in rap.

“WE DON’T TRUST YOU:” ★★★☆☆

View Comments (1)