Underrated artists

Looking at four underrated artists
Fair use from IMDb

In this day and age of music everyone has their own taste that is unique to them. Not only do people have a preference on a type of music, but the artists they love and hate as well. Taylor Swift, Kanye, Drake and Eminem are household names that everyone knows, but there are many that I believe are truly underrated. 

One of my favorite artists who is criminally underrated is Meek Mill. His first song was “Meek Mill Classic Freestyle,” which released in 2004. He made many of my favorite songs, such as “I’m a Boss,” “Dreams and Nightmares” and “Rico.” I always like that his beats and his lyrics are catchy and easy to understand. While I think people may have heard of him, he doesn’t receive anywhere near the amount of credit he deserves. When I listen to his songs, I can listen to them for hours and even after hearing them repeatedly I never skip them. He is definitely an underrated artist worth mentioning. 

Another underrated artist, or rather artists, is the hip-hop duo Rae Sremmurd. They have been on the music scene since 2014 with their first song “Flex Zone.” They produce upbeat, fast-paced songs that are fun to listen to. My two favorite songs of his are “Come Get Her” and “This Could Be Us.” Both songs are about women and kind of contrast each other. “This Could Be Us” is a sweet song about how a couple should stay together. While “Come Get Her” is more sexual and goes in a different direction. Their newest song is “Denial,” which I’m also a fan of. They have made many songs this year that I always enjoy listening to. 

Another underrated artist I have to highlight is Key Glock. His first song was “Actors” in 1997. He has also made two of my favorite songs, “Russian Cream” and “Ambition for this Cash.” I am a big fan of his lyrics, especially in “Ambition for This Cash.” There is a clear message throughout his songs that you can follow. In “Russian Cream,” I’m not as big of a fan of the lyrics, but I like the beat of the song and its flow. While he may not be one of my favorite artists, I think he is terribly underrated and deserves much more credit than he receives.

The last artist I want to talk about is Waka Flocka. While his name may seem odd and even funny, there is nothing funny about his music. His first song was in 2009 and has been producing hits ever since. He is what is known as a hardcore rapper, as many of his songs include sexual lyrics and often have drugs mentioned. I haven’t listened to many of his songs, but I love his song “No Hands.” This is a song that I love every part of — from its lyrics to its rhythm. I think his songs are much more popular than Juaquin James Malphurs, which is why I’m trying to give him the respect he deserves.